• Register Today It's free!

Trans Swap

Old Chuck

Reaction score
City, State
Okeechobee, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer sport 4.0
Will a 5R55E out of a 2001 Explorer Sport w/build of 05-2000 work in a 1997 Explorer XLT also listed as having a 5R55E. Both are 4.0L SOHC motors both are 2 WD. The trans out of the 97 has sensor high and forward (I'm thinking it a drum speed sensor) and the 01 has no such sensor. Both have a trans code D, but the 97 has D/ and I have no idea what ( / ) means. Is there a way to make the ECM in the 97 think it is getting feed back from what ever this sensor is really for, (that's not on the 01 trans). Outside of the 1 sensor they look just a like. Any help would be great. Old Chuck

Will a 5R55E out of a 2001 Explorer Sport w/build of 05-2000 work in a 1997 Explorer XLT also listed as having a 5R55E. Both are 4.0L SOHC motors both are 2 WD. The trans out of the 97 has sensor high and forward (I'm thinking it a drum speed sensor) and the 01 has no such sensor. Both have a trans code D, but the 97 has D/ and I have no idea what ( / ) means. Is there a way to make the ECM in the 97 think it is getting feed back from what ever this sensor is really for, (that's not on the 01 trans). Outside of the 1 sensor they look just a like. Any help would be great. Old Chuck
Overdrive Drum Speed sensor (ODS) was deleted at some point, and there was a TSB calling for deletion on older models as well. Just clip the connector from the harness, strip and solder the two wires together, and seal with heat shrink. AFAIK no re-flash is necessary.
That's pretty much all I know.

Overdrive Drum Speed sensor (ODS) was deleted at some point, and there was a TSB calling for deletion on older models as well. Just clip the connector from the harness, strip and solder the two wires together, and seal with heat shrink. AFAIK no re-flash is necessary.

Thank you so much for the info sir.
Old Chuck

I knew a Ford tech who spent a couple of months fixing his wife's 1997 Explorer, SOHC and the 5R55E. He did swap a different transmission into it first, the old one was hurt badly. That did not work, and then he learned of the difference of that first version versus the later 5R's.

That was back in about 2007, the Ford tech ended up having the old one rebuilt, the trans guy took both apart and used the needed hard parts from the newer one(I think it was a 98 model), plus the rebuild kit. That fixed his. I don't know what has changed since then, but unless you find sure proof that a later 5R will work, I wouldn't just take a chance on it. There's a lot of labor to R&Ring a transmission, you don't want to do it more than necessary.

Back