motor oil | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nate,
Would it be wise change the filter half way through an oil change cycle?
They are cheap and easy to change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nate,
Would it be wise change the filter half way through an oil change cycle?
They are cheap and easy to change.
The only way I'd be tempted to is if I was running 10-15k between oil changes. Not really worth the hassle though since you still have to add a quart of oil. May as well just change the whole thing. You're not going to clog up a good filter that quick unless you have sludging or some other severe issue.

This is definitely a touchy, and passionate topic, but no one ever mentions oil sampling. No matter the type of oil, heat and the byproducts of combustion are the biggest enemies of oil longevity. Chemistry resists heat breakdown, and precise fuel metering (modern fuel injection) limits oil contamination. Oil sampling will tell you the condition of the oil by seeing what impurities are in it. There are now lube-for-life diesel engines with super filtration systems (3 and 4 filters). The fuel injection and lube filtration is so precise that the oil stays clean. You only add to the level and there is no drain plug. I understand Duetz builds one like this and supposedly they claim 5000 hr emissions compliance. It's a roughly 30 city miles to 1 hour conversion, in forklifts..

Synthetic oils are superior in their ability to resist lubricity package (additives) breakdown, because of the package chemical compositions. The oil itself is merely a carrier for these additives and is the same oil used in conventional oils.

Back to sampling, a technical trainer at the tech support and training facility where I work did an experiment with a wrecked Ford fusion he rebuilt. It had approx 15000 miles at the time. He drove approx 100 miles daily on highway.

He changed the oil at time of finishing repair (no engine work done), then changed again at 500 miles using Mobil 1 5w20 and sampled. At 20k he sampled oil and changed filter only (motorcraft). 25k did the same, 30 the same and so on. As time went on the samples came back that the dirt (silica) levels actually got lower. And metals stayed about the same. At 55k he finally noticed a rise in metals and decided to change the oil although the chemists recommended resampling at normal interval. He figures he could have gotten another 10k before the oil would be chemically "worn out".

This i think works on an engine from new or newer designs. A worn engine or older design will never have the tight tolerances that new engines have. Our first gen Explorers will probably never achieve this but I think 20k on synthetic oil is realistic without harm. My dads 99 VW jetta diesel TDI oil change recommendation with 5w30 synthetic is 10k. At 280,000 miles, its still going strong, and returns about 50 mpg.

As soon as I have a new engine to experiment with i will try the same and see what happens. My problem is I don't drive any one vehicle enough to accrue the miles that fast.

Personally I run mobile conventional 10w30 in everything I own and change it every two years or about 5k, except where different weight is recommended. This oil is cheap, I get it for about $3 a qt through work.

P.S. my carbureted vehicles get oil change once a year or 3000 mi.

I think this may be possible, ultra long oil service intervals, but only with bypass filter upgrades like AMsoils and other comparable units only and top quality full synthetic oils.

I think this may be possible, ultra long oil service intervals, but only with bypass filter upgrades like AMsoils and other comparable units only and top quality full synthetic oils.

I agree, the interesting part was my trainer's experience with using nothing but the factory Motorcraft filter. Over time the oil actually got cleaner until the lube packages started to break down and metals began to rise as a result. It was pretty amazing results and just goes to show how well engineered modern engines, and more importantly fuel injection systems are. I agree with you though, with super filtration, the sky is the limit. That's the premise behind the lube-for-life engines that are starting to pop up.

The key is proper filtration and consistent oil analysis. I've seen it save very expensive (12k and up) equipment engines multiple times.

The more research I've done on this subject, it comes out that filtration isn't as much of an issue as the break down of the additives mixed into the oils. That doesn't mean filtration isn't important, but its not the only thing going on. Oil breakdown is almost never about the base substrate, but the additives...its rarely ever made common knowledge

The more research I've done on this subject, it comes out that filtration isn't as much of an issue as the break down of the additives mixed into the oils. That doesn't mean filtration isn't important, but its not the only thing going on. Oil breakdown is almost never about the base substrate, but the additives...its rarely ever made common knowledge

You're exactly right. What do parts stores want to do? What is the most common thing people do to their cars? If you are thinking oil change, you are on to something.. The analysis will show the oil's condition. When signs of wear begin to show in the rise of metals, the cause is the lube properties are beginning to breakdown. The result is increased friction and more metal contact. Metals in the oil doesn't always mean damage, it just means that parts are contacting more than they were otherwise. If when changing the oil and you still have high metals, then something is failing. The filter will catch most of the damaging particles and the analysis will show the high amount of tiny particles resulting from the same excessive wear.

We just caught and hopefully saved an engine this way at work. Iron was high for the last three services so we pulled the valve cover and found a bad lobe on the cam that was starting to eat up the follower. We are replacing the cam, bearings, and followers and expect to see a drop in the iron count in the next service. This engine has been in service for 9500 hours or about 285,000 miles. Oil changes are done every 250 hours, half the manufacturer's recommended interval because of the severe duty application this machine is exposed to.

Back