Synthetic Blend Motor Oil | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Synthetic Blend Motor Oil

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
Let me begin by saying, I've never used a synthetic blend motor oil, nor would I considering that quality full synthetic oil is not much more expensive (especially if you get it at Wally-World). I know our Fords came from the factory with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend motor oil in them and Ford also recommends this oil for oil changes. This is not meant to say that Motorcraft Synthetic Blend Oil isn't just fine for your vehicle. The choice is yours.

I've just learned some information about "synthetic blend" motor oil that I'd never really thought about, in that there's no way of knowing what percentage of conventional to synthetic oil is in a blend. That means that 2 drops of synthetic oil added to a quart of convention oil can be labeled as a synthetic blend. I'm not saying that Motorcraft Synthetic Blend has little-to-no synthetic oil in it, but who actually knows? Why use a blend when full synthetic isn't much more expensive? Why use a cheap, junk (and they are absolute junk) orange Fram oil filter when a Motorcraft oil filter is not much more extensive? The choice is yours.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If Synoil is like other products, the 10 percent rule might apply.
%10 Syn
%90 Dino

When I lived in Cali., the Arrowhead bore trailers full of "mountain spring water"
would deliver to a water plant in Santa Anna from the mountains....

I'm with you Koda Synthetics are so cheap now I run it in my lawn mower, and snowblower. If you watch the rebates it can be had for less than dino.
As far as filters go Fram ultra is probably one of the best.

I've ran motorcraft synthetic blend oil in my 5.0 mountaineer since the day I got it in 2014. I was on the road with it so I would just have the oil changed at a ford dealer. Truck is pushing 300k now. Burns a quart of oil every 3500-4000 miles. I've had good luck with the Ford stuff.

I've ran motorcraft synthetic blend oil in my 5.0 mountaineer since the day I got it in 2014. I was on the road with it so I would just have the oil changed at a ford dealer. Truck is pushing 300k now. Burns a quart of oil every 3500-4000 miles. I've had good luck with the Ford stuff.
Yes Motorcraft synthetic blend is all I use, it's very good oil.

All true, the blends are unknowns for sure. I too use Walmart most of the time, but Amazon often has better pricing too.

Here's one that says full synthetic, but I haven't hunted the details of how it's lesser compared to the regular synthetics that run a few dollars more. This is $16.38 right now and coming to me as part of my monthly subscribe group, $19.27 as BIN;
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TS9ZYWI/ref=sns_myd_detail_page

^ Unless you frequent with the oil tweaks on the BITOG forum. Then it's whatever their "oil of the month" is. LOL

If it's API certified does it REALLY matter what BRAND of oil to use? Oil filters, yes. JMO

I like Mobil 1, I bought several 5 quart jugs of 5W30 for $13 a whack off an auction, changed my Eddie Bauer's oil with it, it's premium seeming stuff, I like the color a lot on the dipstick. It's good for 10K miles I've been told too, which comes in good when you drive 25K miles a year.

I use Wal-Mart M1.5/30 and a motorcraft f-l1a

Back