• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage motor oil

craigeo

Reaction score
City, State
Altoona, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4x4
This forum has helped me a lot so wanted to post my recent experience. I purchased my 2001 Sport Trac a couple years ago with 105,000 miles on it. I started running Mobil 1 synthetic oil in it right away. I now have 137,000 miles on it and the valve covers started leaking badly... as in when the truck was running I'd see a pretty good stream of oil running down onto the exhaust manifold.
It looks like a miserable job to replace the valve cover gaskets on this truck so I decided to try some high mileage conventional oil instead. I put in Valvoline Max Life. It has now been 500 miles on this oil and I see no more leaks. Actually it stopped leaking right away (under 100 miles).
I thought maybe high mileage oil was snake oil but I'm convinced that it's good stuff for old motors now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've used Valvoline Max Life in all my vehicle that have or had over 60k miles and never had any issues. I know it says 75k but I like to take preventative measures.

The reason it's for "high mileage" is because worn out motors need a "thicker" for lack of a better word, oil to prevent leaks. Putting it in before the engine is leaking is wasting gas and causing unnecessary wear. Not that it's bad oil, but a full synthetic is better.

yeh i really dont see the point in putting high milage in until you have a smoking issue or a internal leak. a good high milage oil has the cleaning agents like synthetic and oil stabilizer which slows the break down of oil viscosity and weight during engine warm up. the theroy is keep the oil thicker till the seals heat up and expand and essentially seal with heat.

ok so how about Royal Purple 20w-50?... i got 110k on mine wanting to use it for the next oil chg.

ok so how about Royal Purple 20w-50?... i got 110k on mine wanting to use it for the next oil chg.

Why 20W-50? Higher viscosity has no benefit living in SoCal, and will speed engine wear.
Use the ST's factory recommended 5W-30 with a good filter. (Motorcraft FL-820S, etc.)

your talking 4X the standard weight and almost double the viscosity. that might be a little excessive in grade.

edit: daka you say you have 110K on your rig... do you notice a blueish/gray/white smoke when you start up in the morning? if you notice a smokey start after the truck sitting for a while then i would suggest subbing a quart of 5W-30 for lucas oil stabilizer, or switch to high milage oil 5W-30

I run Valvoline Max Life in my '69 Cougar with the original engine, no rebuild (yet). Good stuff.

I agree stay with a 5W30 oil. Ford's 4.0L OHV and 4.0L SOHC do not like different oil other then a 5W30 oil. Anything else is a good way to blow those engines. All of Fords oils are now a synthetic blend.

Yeah I like synthetic.... living in Wisconsin it's amazing how in the winter conventional oil pours out like honey and synthetic still pours like water but it was pouring right through my seals too :(
Max life has been great now. Anyone used the synthetic max life?

I use AMSOIL in all my vehicles, and have been happy with it for years.

Back