• Register Today It's free!

Motor Swap Question

mashcraft1969

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Ford Explorer XLT
I know that this is a rookie question, but my brain is fried right now. Will an M5OD bolt up to a 302 V-8? Like I said, my brain is fried right now. Any help is greatly appreciated in advance. 4.0 is about to die and would love to drop a 302 in my 91 XLT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could be mistaken, but I think a manual from a late 80's f-150 will work. I don't think your M5OD will work.

That's what I was afraid of. Got a sweet deal on a 302, but not on a compatible trans to go with it. I am tired of not having any power from the 4.0 and don't think it's worth rebuilding. Thanks for the answer.

I could be mistaken, but I think a manual from a late 80's f-150 will work. I don't think your M5OD will work.

This is correct, although I don't know exactly what years BUT..

My neighbor is in the middle of parting out an '80s f-250 that has what appears to be a Dana 50 TTB front end with Leaf Springs. First time I've ever seen that.. Anyway, it has a 351 motor with an m50d transmission and 1356 case and the trans says 302, 351 on the trans plate.

I know the trans will be for sale but shipping to Va is probably going to make it not worth it.. I know he sold the xfer case for $100

~Mark

I have the M5OD from a 93 Ranger and X-fer from a Bronco II (92 I think, I went manual with that as well). I just don't want to take the time to rebuild the underpowered 4.0. Would love more power and torque.

I read somewhere on one of the threads in here that a m5r2 tranny from a ford f-150 will work. But i can,t find which thread it is. Because i was thinking about doing this swap in my 94 navajo. I found one on e-bay for like 700 rebuilt. I hope this helps.

Yeah, a big help. I'll start searching the bone yards for a M5R2. Thanks

An M5OD-R2 will work, is yours an R1 or R2? All of the Ford small blocks have the same bolt pattern for the bell housing so the 289, 302, 351W, 351M and 400 should all be the same as far as bellhousing bolt patterns and transmissions should be compatible with all of them.

An M5OD-R2 will work, is yours an R1 or R2? All of the Ford small blocks have the same bolt pattern for the bell housing so the 289, 302, 351W, 351M and 400 should all be the same as far as bellhousing bolt patterns and transmissions should be compatible with all of them.

Negative on the 351M and 400, they are the same pattern as the 429-460.

Mine is the R1 from a 93 Ranger XLT.

No offense but you have much more research to do.

The trans you are looking for is a M5OD-R2 - Specifically one that came behind the 4.2 V6. This trans will bolt up to a 302, but put the shifter farther forward in a similar location to a M5OR1 that came in the Explorer/Ranger.

Talking money - It is much cheaper to rebuild your V6 then get into a V8 swap. The v8 swap produces a great result - but I wouldn't recommend attempting any of it until you have spent dozens of hours researching on this website and www.therangerstation.com, and are comfortable with some fairly large expenditure.

Key Mechanical issues you have to address:
Motor Mounts
New Trans
New T case or AA adapter to run your 1354
New/ modified driveshafts front/ rear
Remote Oil filter setup
Non AC heater box or notching the AC box
If you want headers, roughly $700-$800 for torque monster brand. Nearly all others will hit on the steering shaft.

Wiring is a whole different animal - and where the research comes in. There are a handful of options - all depends on your goals and what you have available.

Explorer V8 OBDII system.
Older MAF OBDI out of F series/ Mustang.
Carb'd.

No offense was taken. That's why I am on this forum, to hear it from the experts on here. I found out that my engine wasn't in that bad of shape anyway. When I did the trans swap, I had to plug some vacuum lines. My engine running terribly caused me to think it was about to die, but after going over it about 100 times, I realized that my plugs had blown off causing it to run like crap. I have since redone all of my vacuum lines and plugs and it is running great again. I'm not saying I won't attempt the swap at a later time, but it will be a while from now. Thanks for all of the great advice gents.

Back