Motor will not turn over when hot. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motor will not turn over when hot.

NinetySevenXLT

Reaction score
City, State
OKC, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
The Vehicle: 1997 Explorer XLT, 2WD, 4.0l OHV engine, Automatic.

The Problem: When vehcile is driven around for extended periods of time, the motor will not turn over until it is given 30 to 45 minutes to cool off. All accessories work, and the battery has tested good.

The Symptoms: When I turn the key, one audible click can be heard from somewhere in the engine well. I'm almost positive that the sound does not originate from the starter. It seems to be coming from the driver side of the engine well, somewhere near the fusable link block. But it is VERY hard to determine exactly where the sound comes from. Also, a less audible *ping* sound can be heard from elsewhere in the engine bay, but again it is very hard to identify the sound's origin.

What i've done so far: Replaced battery cable ends and starter solenoid. I don't know where to go from here.

Possible Cause: A relay somewhere? I don't know, but I have a feeling it's a stupid bullshit eletrical problem.

Anyone had this happen? What should I check next?

Two things:

1) Check battery cables for corrosion.(Under the insulation) They are famous for this.

2) Check starter relay inside engine compartment on fender well. Follow the + battery cable until you get to the round starter relay. I had this go bad on my Ranger, but it was obvious because it made a clicking noise (bad contacts).

You could also try hitting(lightly) the starter to see if it jars anything loose. If it then starts, your problem could be starter or starter connections related.

The click is coming from the starter relay that is mounted on the driver's side under the hood, and from the 2 relays. You have the fuel pump relay, and the PCM relay. I would say that your starter is bad. The best way to tell is when you experience this no start condition, connect a test light onto the connections of the starter, and try to crank the engine. If you see the light come on, then you know for sure that there is power going to the starter, and the starter is just not turning over.

Back