Motorcraft Fl-1a - is there a change to the drive section | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motorcraft Fl-1a - is there a change to the drive section

It may make you feel better buying Motorcraft, but just so you are aware, they are made by Purolator. You can probably find the same filter at an autoparts store and pay a lot less. I have been using Fram, Purolator, STP on my 95 Sport since it was new. Every 3K miles.

I am told that the Motorcraft filters are produced by the Purolator folks on a different production line. Probably more for branding vs. physical attributes. May be interesting to compare a recent Purolator filter with the Motorcraft one. I'll bet they are the same physically.
Each filter model has many similar features of other filters, but also often unique components which means they are not the same as other filters. So we all know quality is suffering in this current economy, but the Ford filter is still made as they design it. Now they have evidently lowered the quality some more, and likely it's made outside the US, but it's closer to the old best, than any Fram design, which was always poor.

Changing your oil very often is really good, now especially for turbo engines or direct injection models. Use the best oil, plus the best air filter you can get. All of that keeps the inside much cleaner, and much less wear over time.

wven if it is i still find the fl1a cheaper than the purolator equiv around me 😅

Plus nobody should be buying oil at part stores, it's way too high there. I get my filters at Walmart usually, and sometimes Amazon or Rock Auto, $4 these days, used to be $3 a filter(Motorcraft).

Back