Motorcycle Towing w/ Step Bumper? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motorcycle Towing w/ Step Bumper?

I'm heading out for a track day in July and want to make sure I'm squared away with my towing setup. I have a 1996 2DR 4WD Explorer, with no factory tow package. Haven't yet checked for the harness at the driver taillight, but I'll deal with that one tomorrow.

As of right now - I'm trying to determine if I need a frame hitch or not. My bike's wet weight is about 450lbs., and the trailer I intend to use is this bad daddy....

http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=towing-motorcycle

Will the step bumper with a 2" ball be OK for the 400 mile round trip to the track and back? Terrain is mostly flat for my drive. I'm in Denver, but the track I'm going to is south on I-25, which is still in the plains. I'd appreciate any thoughts/advice on this matter. Thanks!

:)

Last I heard, Uhaul won't let you pick up the trailer if you bring an Explorer. Navajo and Mountaineer are ok though.. Its just the Explorer badged vehicles they won't rent to.

~Mark

nope, no go with uhaul. But yes you could tow it if you could rent it. Try another rental co.

Yeah, you can tow it. However depending on how high your rig sits, it's very likely the the trailer won't ride level. This could lead to some trailer sway. With only ~1000 pounds it might not be a big deal, but definitely something to be aware of.

Pat

Back