Mouse in ventilation. How do i open it up? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mouse in ventilation. How do i open it up?

WBCarson

Reaction score
City, State
Dawsonville, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac
I have a mouse in my 2007 Sport Trac! When i turn on the air or heat, it smells like mouse pee bad. Opened the hood and saw him run around. I cant find a nest. There is no cabin air filter.
We bought the truck and ive had to put some work into it and so far so good, (thank you board)but one thing i noticed about the VERY basic ventilation system is that i have no choice if i want to recirculate or allow fresh air in. I turn the system on, its always outside air. The button where a Recirculation button would be is a dummy button. I would assume that if the system is off that some outside door would close, but even with it off outside air comes through the vents. I can change between air conditioning and heat fine so i think that actuator/blending door is ok.
So, no door on the Sport Trac to close of the ventilation?
Does outside air come in from the cowl? Not sure how to remove the cowl anyway.
How does one get into the system? I cant find a diagram of the system

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think you could just put some poison in the engine bay and he'd find it, eh? Mouse poison is typically a dessicant and after that little bugger gets thirsty enough he'll leave to find water. OR, he might croak in your ventilation system. Bigger problem. Better probably to use a trap and bait that you can get to. But, I would think the larger issue is the pee smell and poop droppings. Don't want to leave poop dust floating around in your vents. I think you're going to have to pull the dash to get at the system to clean everything out. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...er-complete-dash-removal.437175/#post-3485290 or go through the sticky page. I think there is a procedure there. Good Luck!

I would think you could just put some poison in the engine bay and he'd find it, eh? Mouse poison is typically a dessicant and after that little bugger gets thirsty enough he'll leave to find water. OR, he might croak in your ventilation system. Bigger problem. Better probably to use a trap and bait that you can get to. But, I would think the larger issue is the pee smell and poop droppings. Don't want to leave poop dust floating around in your vents. I think you're going to have to pull the dash to get at the system to clean everything out. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...er-complete-dash-removal.437175/#post-3485290 or go through the sticky page. I think there is a procedure there. Good Luck!

I have a trap in the engine bay now. I didnt want him to die in the system. That would smell worse than before.
I also need to figure how HOW he is getting in. Hence the question about where the fresh air comes in and if there is supposed to be a door on it. If its a short space than a screen or door maybe the nest is in that. I keep hoping it will be easy!

I dont remember seeing a puddle under the truck after we came home. We ran the air. My wife's van has a little tube going to the condenser coil as a drain. It got plugged which let water back up and stink into the car. I will check there too.
Thanks for the link! Something tells me i will have the dash off soon.

Trap got the mouse, its a male so no babies :)
now, if i can just figure out where the fresh air inlet is to the system.......

I have a similar problem only my smell is coming from the rear heat in my center console of my 04 Sport Trac. My question is since it's isolated to the rear vent and no where else how do I pull the tubes out to clean them
I have a mouse in my 2007 Sport Trac! When i turn on the air or heat, it smells like mouse pee bad. Opened the hood and saw him run around. I cant find a nest. There is no cabin air filter.
We bought the truck and ive had to put some work into it and so far so good, (thank you board)but one thing i noticed about the VERY basic ventilation system is that i have no choice if i want to recirculate or allow fresh air in. I turn the system on, its always outside air. The button where a Recirculation button would be is a dummy button. I would assume that if the system is off that some outside door would close, but even with it off outside air comes through the vents. I can change between air conditioning and heat fine so i think that actuator/blending door is ok.
So, no door on the Sport Trac to close of the ventilation?
Does outside air come in from the cowl? Not sure how to remove the cowl anyway.
How does one get into the system? I cant find a diagram of the system

ThanksImagine

Back