• Register Today It's free!

MP3 Players

greenhornet3147

Reaction score
City, State
lawrenceville, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT
I'm looking at the MP3 Players thinking of putting one in the X. They all look like they only play MP3 and not regular cd's also. Am i looking at this right. is there a player that will do both MP3 and store bought CD's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any head unit that will play burned MP3 CD's will play store purchased CD's as well. I recommend Alpine Head units. I"ve been using them for many years now and like all the "tweeking" features they have and excellent sound quality. If you're looking for real high end stuff go with Eclipse.

I am very pleased with my JVC HU that plays MP3 as well as CD.

i have a panasonic that plays mp3s. cost 200 bucks, pretty happy with it. only problem was with my old cd burner it would make the trakcs skip all the time while playing, after new computer/burner no more problem.

Cool Thanks

Thanks for the feed back and info.:D

I have been doing some shopping in the same area and I have come up with a pioneer 7400 mp or the Pioneer premier model 740mp Look at those

I have never had a problem with pionner ( I have owned 6 pioneer decks) and I love em'

I've dealt with both Kenwood and Alpine MP3 decks.

They both have hella features on them and are super-tweakable. They both play music great.

BUT... the Alpine took forever to jump from song to song!!! It was last year when my buddy bought it new, but it was super slow. And then another friend, actually two more friends, bought Kenwoods and those are much quicker with the seek time.

I was looking at a Kenwood myself, but the old Clarion just won't quit on me!!! Can't justify the spending.

I have a Kenwood deck (KDC-MPV619) and it is awesome. Alot of little fun features (scrolls through colors, changing the actually button colors, several display options) and it seeks very quickly. Also, it is very easy to use and I think it sounds great.

Does anyone know how the new Pioneer Premiers are for moving betsween MP3 tracks, I'm looking at the 750 MP (3 sets of 6.5v preouts) but the old models took a long time between tracks, are the new ones better?

Yeah!, I have heard that Pioneer 7400 take a lot of time , 6 seconds aprox. between tracks.

I'd choose a Clarion , like the DXZ835M, Kenwood as second option, SOny in 3th place.

-Clarion, a great performance and excelent quality.
-Sony is very easy to use and pretty !!!
-Kenwood, excelent quality, I think they are something difficult to use, push a lot of buttons to make something.
-Piooner, good quality, nothing out this world, and they don't have station tittling.
-Alpine , no comments.
- Rockford Fosgate, very very easy to use, and something exotic, I think.

I like my JVC MP3 CD player.

Plays MP3, CDs, CD-R, CD-RW...I've never heard any of them skip.

I got my JVC HU off of eBay for $145, brand new and everything. It normally costs over $230 in stores :D .

brendan,

i agree with you on the seek time of the Alpine but does the Kenwood have 3 sets of 4v preouts and remote? along with eq and crossover setting built in? i love my Alpine!

I know there are a varying number of kenwoods that play mp3s and do it well. My friend has one with some kind of parametric built-in EQ I believe and also has 3 preamps, not sure of the voltage, but I'd bet it's at least 4-4.5V.

I've just put in a Kenwood KDC-PSW9524 and I'm very impressed both with the quality of sound and all the features. I love the motorized front panel - funky. It has three pre outs and wired connection for remote. Got to see if I can work the rear controls from that anyone have a wiring diagram?

I just installed a Pioneer P5500, and it takes about 3 seconds in betweeeen each MP3 track....

The Pioneer DEH-P7400MP and DEH-P7500MP are both good. But you could get the DEH-P5500MP for a little less. Same sound quality, just slightly fewer features. Overall good unit.

I advise you to NOT get and MP3/CD Player. Just get on that plays CD/R/W's. The reason being, my best friend had the top of the line JVC CD/MP3 player, and the lens shifted (they're very sensitive) and he ended up just buying a new HU. I have an Aiwa CDC-MP3 and I hate it. It skips all the time, and I think I used the MP3 feature about a dozen times. It's kind of cool for road trips, and when I say that, I mean long ones, but other than that, I wouldn't every buy one again. Just two cents from some owners of CD/MP3 players.

-Justin

my pioneer 8400mp takes a bit to read a cd at first. between tracks is pretty quick, i dont think it takes any longer than a regular cd player. Even around town I still like the MP3 feature..ill tkae up to 10 cds im listening to alot, put them on one disc and then i dont have to change cds anymore, makes a great random play too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JMT1SOMR, I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience with CD/MP3 players, but you're just about the only one I've ever heard complain. I ran an Alpine headunit in my old Volvo for a year and a half with only AWESOME results, then switched to a Panasonic unit in the X, which I've had for a full year. The Alpine unit took less than a second between tracks, whether normal CD or MP3 CD but didn't display the ID3 tags for one reason or another. The Panasonic displays the tags, never skips, looks amazing and I have a 4 year No-Questions-Asked warranty on it! Justin, to each his own, but I'd definately give the MP3 capability 2 thumbs up!
:D

Back