• Register Today It's free!

MTX Thunerform Questions

LLSTRIKES96

Reaction score
City, State
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Ok it's finally time for me to upgrade the good ole stereo system. I hate the way some installs look messy with exposed wires and boxes not fastened or anything so I was looking into buying a custom fit sub enclosure for my 96. Can I wire this into the factory amp and still get decent sound? Does anyone have this particular setup? Can I fit an aftermarket amp in the stock amp location? Should I spend my money on tires? (ha ha ha) Any input would be appriciated.

This is the address of the sub:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-gcNSRHt2cDP/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=530&I=236FEX10&o=M&a=0
Can I get it cheaper somewhere else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're referring to the factory *sub* amp, there are some people on this board who have done it, and say it works finefor decent sound (decent being your decision!). Depending on the size of the aftermarket, it's possible. Much more possible, I think if you have a 4 door. I don't know what the largest dimension amp is that anyone's put back there though. I think that Crutchfield has actually brought down the price in those for the Explorer, so the price you see might be as low as you see it unless you get a hookup from a local shop, or the shop's trying to get rid of them which seems to be the case in a lot of the peoplel getting deals.

If you're planning on using the factory amp for the MTX Custom-Fit Sub, it will not power the MTX Thunder 6000 Sub well enough. Remember, the factory subs are only 6". You won't be happy with the sound or feel of your sub if you use the factory amp.

Thanks, that helps a lot! Anyone have experience with the MTX thunderform by the way? It seems so gosh darn cool I'll be suprised if anyone doens't.

I put in my Dad's Expedition, it sounds very good. I would recommend the non-amped version though. The Amped version skimps on the sub quality a bit. I would have gone with it in my Explorer, but I liked the Infinity a little more and wanted the deeper bass of 12" subs.

llstrikes96

I purchaced mine from a local shop, saved over $100.
I have the MTX 5000, which is a step below the MTX 6000 that comes in it, but it still sounds great. The design of the box will limit the size and power of your sub. About 150w is all you will get out of it. To be honest, 100w will give you plenty of bass to compliment the factory amp. If you go bigger bass then obviously get more power for your mids and highs.

I have an old Sony (70w mono) mounted behind the rear passanger 5x7 on the bracket it's self. If you don't want to sacrifice cargo space then you will be limited to your amp size. It kinda sucks, I know!

One option I have thought of is to move the rear wiper reservoir and mount an amp there. You will have a door that you can remove to make adjustments and have plenty of room for a wide variety of amp options. I am trying to find out a way to make my rear wiper motor connect into the main wiper reservoir. Once I figure that out and winter is over I'll start removing panels.

I think you'll be pleased with the MTX proform. You will need heaver-duty brackets to secure the box better. I used regular "L" brackets from a hardware store. That and some carpet padding between the box and the wall of the Explorer and all vibrations were limited.

Good luck
:thumbsup:

I have an MTX Thunderform in my 2001 Explorer Sport. I'm not currently using it as I've upgraded to 2 DD 3512a's. I CAN say the Thunderform sounds excellent! It really blends with the music well so the bass sounds rich but not TOO overpowering--the way a sealed sub SHOULD sound.

If you're interested, I'd give you a good price on the Thunderform. You'd need an external amplifier, as I don't have the amplified version. I used an MTX RT2200 to power it.

Let me know if you'd be interested.

Jordan23

Back