Multiple Codes - Cannot Diagnose - Please Help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple Codes - Cannot Diagnose - Please Help!!

tsortor

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Hey guys, I'm new to this site and am hoping I can get a definitive diagnosis before I go broke replacing parts. I bought our 2004 Explorer XLT with a 4.0 V6 for my wife about 5 months ago. It has been running great until last Friday when all of a sudden after about 30 minutes of driving, it just started idleing really rough. It seems to drive ok, but now with a little loss of power, but idles rough.

Here are the codes I've pulled from the car:
P0174 - System Too Lean (Bank2)
P0300 - Random Misfire Detected
P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0316 - Misfire Detected on Startup (First 1000 Revolutions)

Pending:
P0172 - System Too Rich (Bank 1)

Ok, so here is what I have done so far. Replaced coil pack, wires, plugs, pcv valve and hose, and all 4 O2 sensors. These items did nothing and the vehicle is still misfiring and idleing rough. I've sprayed all vacuum lines and intake manifold connections with carburetor cleaner looking for leaks and haven't been able to find anything.

Could it be the injectors? Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the freeze frame data:

Parameter Description Results

DTC for which Freeze Frame was Stored - P0302
Fuel System 1 Status Open Loop - due to detected system fault
Fuel System 2 Status Not Supported
Calculated LOAD Value 25.49 %
Engine Coolant Temp 125.60 °F
Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 0.00 %
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 3.13 %
Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2 0.00 %
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2 25.00 %
Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure 13.03 inHg
Engine RPM 1,075.00 rpm
Vehicle Speed Sensor 0.00 mph
Ignition Timing Advance #1 Cylinder 24.00 °
Intake Air Temperature 82.40 °F
Air Flow Rate Mass Air Flow Sensor 1.10 lb/min
Absolute Throttle Position 16.86 %
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage (B1-S1) 0.85 V
Short Term Fuel Trim (B1-S1) 0.00 %
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage (B1-S2) 0.06 V
Short Term Fuel Trim (B1-S2) 99.22 %
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage (B2-S1) 0.08 V
Short Term Fuel Trim (B2-S1) 0.00 %
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage (B2-S2) 0.30 V
Short Term Fuel Trim (B2-S2) 99.22 %
Time Since Engine Start 10 sec

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check to elbow host to the pcv valve. they are known to fail and spring leaks and throw 171 and 174 codes. search this forum and you'll find the thread that shows how easy it is to fix.

Ok, so here is what I have done so far. Replaced coil pack, wires, plugs, pcv valve and hose, and all 4 O2 sensors. These items did nothing and the vehicle is still misfiring and idleing rough. I've sprayed all vacuum lines and intake manifold connections with carburetor cleaner looking for leaks and haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks tmaher, my original post quoted above. I've already replaced that hose/elbow to no avail.

Anybody else have suggestions? I don't understand the Parameter Description Results, but looking at the Long Term Fuel Trim Banks 1 & 2 having such widespread readings, could that mean the fuel injectors on Bank 1 are not working properly? Would that also be the cause for the random multiple misfires on Bank 1 as well?

Any Ford Techs on this site wanna chime in?

Have you cleaned the throttle body? 2004s are the first year to go drive by wire and seem to be more suceptible to poor idle caused by crud build up in TB than earlier models.

Fuel filter - cheapest option + will cause rough idle

Fuel filter - cheapest option + will cause rough idle

Have you cleaned the throttle body? 2004s are the first year to go drive by wire and seem to be more suceptible to poor idle caused by crud build up in TB than earlier models.

These are both good suggestions that I have considered but have not gotten to yet. It's been raining the past two days, but I will try both of these today. Hopefully I have just been overthinking this problem and one of these will do the trick. In any case, the above mentioned repairs were overdue anyway and should result in some increased fuel mileage when it is running right. I'll post my results later today.

Still Running Rough

Ok, so I replaced the fuel and air filter, pulled and cleaned the throttle body which was plenty dirty, and cleaned the MAF sensor. Put it all back together, hooked up my handy dandy scanner and cleared all previous codes. I then started the engine and let it warm up. It still idles rough, but I took it for a test drive anyway. It seems to have plenty of power, drives fine and doesn't throw any more codes, but in gear sitting at a stop it runs rough. This is really starting to get annoying, anybody else have any ideas?

Was the IAC valve overlooked?

Hey guys, I'm new to this site and am hoping I can get a definitive diagnosis before I go broke replacing parts. I bought our 2004 Explorer XLT with a 4.0 V6 for my wife about 5 months ago. It has been running great until last Friday when all of a sudden after about 30 minutes of driving, it just started idleing really rough. It seems to drive ok, but now with a little loss of power, but idles rough.

Here are the codes I've pulled from the car:

Pending:
P0172 - System Too Rich (Bank 1)

Could it be the injectors? Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the freeze frame data:

Parameter Description Results

DTC for which Freeze Frame was Stored - P0302
Fuel System 1 Status Open Loop - due to detected system fault
Fuel System 2 Status Not Supported
Calculated LOAD Value 25.49 %
Engine Coolant Temp 125.60 °F
Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 0.00 %
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 3.13 %
Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2 0.00 %
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2 25.00 %
Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure 13.03 inHg
Engine RPM 1,075.00 rpm
Vehicle Speed Sensor 0.00 mph
Ignition Timing Advance #1 Cylinder 24.00 °
Intake Air Temperature 82.40 °F
Air Flow Rate Mass Air Flow Sensor 1.10 lb/min
Absolute Throttle Position 16.86 %
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage (B1-S1) 0.85 V
Short Term Fuel Trim (B1-S1) 0.00 %
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage (B1-S2) 0.06 V
Short Term Fuel Trim (B1-S2) 99.22 %
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage (B2-S1) 0.08 V
Short Term Fuel Trim (B2-S1) 0.00 %
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage (B2-S2) 0.30 V
Short Term Fuel Trim (B2-S2) 99.22 %
Time Since Engine Start 10 sec
I know this post is 11 years old but just wondering if the replacing of coil packs did anything, I still see the misfires that were on the pending list.

Back