Multiple Electrical Problems - Related? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple Electrical Problems - Related?

pwtsvwt

Reaction score
City, State
Richfield, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Limited RWD
I just purchased a 96 Limited 5.0 RWD. As I am a firm believer in not re-inventing the wheel, I then Registered on this forum. I was hoping to go a little longer before needing the expertize, experience and wisdom found here, but I was wrong. Hi All ! ! ..... Help, Please ! !

Problems:
a) The right rear door speaker and the woofer were not functioning when I purchased. I knew some troubleshooting would be needed, but after looking over the schematic I found here, I have no idea where to begin (and I'm a Electrical Controls Designer).

b) I had the right front door open last night for around 10 minutes. The dome lights were still on five minutes after closing the door. I pulled the fuse. I put the fuse back in today to 'have a look' and the lights are now acting properly.

c) At one point today, the power windows refused to operate. I cycled the ignition switch and the Window Lock switch and, at some point, the windows started working. Except the right rear door window. It refuses to go down.

Since the right rear door has two problems, I pulled the door panel and did some checking. Window - No voltage at any switch terminations (ignition sw On & windows Not locked). Speaker - A known working speaker would not play when plugged into the harness.

Although I'm not sure what to do next, I cannot help but notice that most of the problems are on the right side. Could there be a major harness connector that needs some attention? Is there a known place where the harness could be wearing to the point of shorting/cutting wires?

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum!
There are several grounds that are terminated together on that side, I however, would check the wires as they pass through the door jamb and into the door. The wires are constantly flexed at this point and could have broken. Here are some schematics and troubleshooting diagrams for your Ex.
95 to 01 Explorer

Thanks Fixxxer!

Good stuff on that site! Especially the pin-outs for the audio system.

Given that I have an intermitten problem with the right front door, two problems with the right rear door, and a problem in the amp area, I cannot help but wonder if I should look at the right side wiring harness.
Am I correct in that, by removing the right front seat, possibly the right rear seat, and lifting the carpet, I will expose the wiring harness for that area (and hopefully the ground also)?
Actually, I'm guessing that the ground will be where the harness meets the firewall.

Paul

The body harness actually runs in a channel under the bottom door trim. Pull off the side/floor trim on the passenger side (including the rear quarter - your audio amp is back there) and you'll see the plastic wiring channel. You probably won't have to remove the seats.

The dome light problem "may" be separate - the switch for that is in the latch mechanism, and is known to stick if the latch mechanism is dirty or corroded. Some penetrating oil and WD-40 may help.

IIRC, the primary ground is near where the harness attaches to the dash. There may be one in the rear also. Most of the ground wires are splices together as they travel through the harness, and these splices are usually hte points of failure, not the end ground point itself.

Also, good place for copies of the Ford service CD's (including schematics) http://www24.brinkster.com/sdhartney/linc/linc.htm In the schematics section, they define the location for all the grounds, which may be useful for you. The program is a bit cumbersome, but not too bad once you get hte hand of it.

Thanks hworksinc!

These forums are the best thing since sliced bread. I cannot imagine how long it would take me to come across this info or IF I would ever find it!

I've looked at some of the service & troubleshoot documentation on the audio system, and it's beginning to look like I'll be in need of the main amp. I will need to get to it and do the actual testing to confirm. FleaBay, here I come.

The window I haven't researched yet. But, with no voltage-to-ground on any of the switch terminals, I think the problem is a) not in the door, and b) not a grounding problem. It might be time for a continuity check of some harnesses.

Although, the dome lights are still behaving, I guess a good drowning in WD or silicon lub is called for.

Paul

PS. Anyone know of a source of the little push-in fasteners that hold the interior trim pieces on?

Most of the parts stores have "help" sections, that have these trim buttons. You might want to bring in the broken one so you can match it up. I've also had good luck just stopping by a body shop and getting some there.:p:

Back