Multiple suspension noises | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

It was in the mid to upper teens for a few days here and I also noticed a difference in the low frequency acoustics. As we head into february it will get colder. I'll report back.
I'd love to hear what you find.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It was in the mid to upper teens for a few days here and I also noticed a difference in the low frequency acoustics. As we head into February it will get colder. I'll report back.
Drove today in 5 degree (F) temps for an hour and actually the low frequency were diminished but not gone. The first 10-15 minutes of driving the noises were almost non-existent but as the vehicle came to operating temperature they returned albeit diminished from warmer temps (30F and above).

Drove today in 5 degree (F) temps for an hour and actually the low frequency were diminished but not gone. The first 10-15 minutes of driving the noises were almost non-existent but as the vehicle came to operating temperature they returned albeit diminished from warmer temps (30F and above).
I have continued to confirm this same thing. Now I know that its either a parts clearance issue or maybe an oil viscosity thing with the differential. neither one of those bothers me a WHOLE lot, but the noise is still annoying. could be poor clearances with the front ring and pinion gear and the thick gear oil is dampening the noise, or could be some axle play, that "through the oil pan" design, idk. spit balling here lol

Once I installed by Borla exhaust I no longer hear any suspension noises. This issue has been resolved for me 1 year ago.

Once I installed by Borla exhaust I no longer hear any suspension noises. This issue has been resolved for me 1 year ago.
I plan on installing an exhaust as well and was thinking that could help

That's likely either because the exhaust is drowning them out or it was never suspension noises to start with. :)

Peter

I'd love to hear what you find.
Ok so now it’s August 2022 and I gotta say I’ve been dealing with this subtle clunking issue over ripples in the road or parking lots and small bumps since the day after I took delivery of my 2021 Platinum built in September 2021. Interestingly enough it seems to have gotten worse around 6k miles, now I have almost 9k. It’s driving me completely nucking futs. Between that and the damn rear lift gate opening by itself when a rear door opens (about twice weekly but sometimes several times In a day) I’m about ready to lose It on my dealership! (And yes I’ve tried shutting the power lift gate off but the damn thing still pops open just doesn’t open all the way up). No fix on that yet either from Ford BUT PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, someone please tell me Ford solved this clunk issue?

My '21 Platinum, built early Sept 2021, exhibits noticeable noises in the cabin on roadways with with tar strips, small repetitive bumps and cut groves for water runoff. I have 7k miles on mine and it's been like this since delivery. I've significantly reduced the noise by replacing the oem 21" wheels/tires with with 265/65 R18 Pirelli AS Plus 3 tires on aftermarket 18" wheels. The noise is still there just not as loud. I've also notice much less noise when the temp hit 90 recently. The noise increases as the temps dip below 70. I suspect there is a tremendous amount of road noise being transmitted via the front and rear suspension to the cabin in the Platinum model and the larger tire sidewall on the 18" wheels/tires and warmer temperatures help reduce it. Why the Platinum models exhibit this is a mystery to my dealership too. I've learned to live with it and often drive with the sunroof vented to help mask the noise. BTW, we are in the same locale. Go Bills!

Last edited:

My '21 Platinum, built early Sept 2021, exhibits noticeable noises in the cabin on roadways with with tar strips, small repetitive bumps and cut groves for water runoff. I have 7k miles on mine and it's been like this since delivery. I've significantly reduced the noise by replacing the oem 21" wheels/tires with with 265/65 R18 Pirelli AS Plus 3 tires on aftermarket 18" wheels. The noise is still there just not as loud. I've also notice much less noise when the temp hit 90 recently. The noise increases as the temps dip below 70. I suspect there is a tremendous amount of road noise being transmitted via the front and rear suspension to the cabin in the Platinum model and the larger tire sidewall on the 18" wheels/tires and warmer temperatures help reduce it. Why the Platinum models exhibit this is a mystery to my dealership too. I've learned to live with it and often drive with the sunroof vented to help mask the noise. BTW, we are in the same locale. Go Bills!
Yes, go Bills! I’m actually in West Seneca, so very close. I refuse to except the only answer is just deal with it. So I was never planning on buying a platinum, I had actually ordered a 2022 ST-line; but wound up buying this platinum off a lot in late October last year bc my order was taking too long and we needed the third row vehicle. My dad ended up purchasing the ST-line when my order finally came in…. 6 months later. Now at almost 4k miles, I’ve driven his several times and it has zero hint of this clunk noise! Very annoying we‘re all stuck with this on the platinum And ST models And Ford has no solution

Yes, go Bills! I’m actually in West Seneca, so very close. I refuse to except the only answer is just deal with it. So I was never planning on buying a platinum, I had actually ordered a 2022 ST-line; but wound up buying this platinum off a lot in late October last year bc my order was taking too long and we needed the third row vehicle. My dad ended up purchasing the ST-line when my order finally came in…. 6 months later. Now at almost 4k miles, I’ve driven his several times and it has zero hint of this clunk noise! Very annoying we‘re all stuck with this on the platinum And ST models And Ford has no solution
Does your Platinum have the factory trailer tow package? MIne is equipped with factory tow option 52T.
I wonder if the suspension on the Platinum with trailer tow has different springs or different coil spring isolators (bushings) affecting the road noise.
Pulling at straws here but on a smooth road it's generally quiet. On tar strips I notice the front and rear tires generate the same noise.

Okay so I haven't read thru all 27 pages of this issue but I sure someone has mentioned the passenger seatbelt rattling against the side pillar.....right?

Does your Platinum have the factory trailer tow package? MIne is equipped with factory tow option 52T.
I wonder if the suspension on the Platinum with trailer tow has different springs or different coil spring isolators (bushings) affecting the road noise.
Pulling at straws here but on a smooth road it's generally quiet. On tar strips I notice the front and rear tires generate the same noise.
Yes it does have the tow hitch. But so does my dads ST line bc I needed it for a small equipment trailer and hitch bike rack I have. I don’t think it has anything to do with that unfortunately or the limiteds and some xlt’s with the hitch would be complaining

Yes it does have the tow hitch. But so does my dads ST line bc I needed it for a small equipment trailer and hitch bike rack I have. I don’t think it has anything to do with that unfortunately or the limiteds and some xlt’s with the hitch would be complaining
I follow you reasoning and agree.
So we are left with very expensive vehicles with very noisy suspensions. If I ever find a solution I'll let you know.

Our highway department just finished a very long stretch of super smooth blacktop roadway nearby. Driving the Explorer at any speed on this new road the cabin is super quiet. Driving under full acceleration on the same new road the cabin noise is what you'd expect from a twin turbo. All this is good and acceptable.

Why the Explorer sounds like I'm inside a reverberating boom box on rough concrete roads or rough blacktop roads with tar strips is baffling. Why the reverberating boom box like noise is louder at 50 degrees air temp and significantly less at 85 degrees air temp is even more baffling.

I'm thinking that whatever components are supposed to isolate the uni-body/cabin from the suspension are poorly designed, over-tightened, under-tightened or defective or missing.

Unfortunately the dealerships i have visited tell me it's common with the Platinum model, as if it's a feature. :confused:

As a followup, today (October 7th) the temperature was 50 degrees and my Explorer exhibited very loud resonating booms, thuds and thumps as the vehicle crossed over every roadway defect. Front and rear suspensions produce almost identical noise. Cooler temps affect the tire pressure so a few days ago I added air to ensure they are running 33 pounds when cold.

As a followup, today (October 7th) the temperature was 50 degrees and my Explorer exhibited very loud resonating booms, thuds and thumps as the vehicle crossed over every roadway defect. Front and rear suspensions produce almost identical noise. Cooler temps affect the tire pressure so a few days ago I added air to ensure they are running 33 pounds when cold.
The 21" wheels/tires could be part of the issue. Less sidewall equals less flex in the tire to absorb road imperfections. What is the recommended PSI? You said you "added" air to ensure they were at 33 PSI. I thought the reccommended pressure was 35 but perhaps 21" tires are different?

Peter

The 21" wheels/tires could be part of the issue. Less sidewall equals less flex in the tire to absorb road imperfections. What is the recommended PSI? You said you "added" air to ensure they were at 33 PSI. I thought the recommended pressure was 35 but perhaps 21" tires are different?

Peter
I'm actually running 18" wheels and Pirelli 265/65R18 Scorpion AS Plus3 tires.
The OEM 21" wheels/tires were significantly louder. The 21s were only on the vehicle for a short time.
My vehicles recommended tire pressure is 33 front and rear for the 21s so I decided to run 33psi in the 18s too.

I realized the tire sidewall effect, as you so accurately described, last November when I put Blizzak snows on 18" wheels for the winter. The 18s were significantly quieter. That's when I decided to put the 21s in storage until it's time to trade.

What's so perplexing is the sensitivity my Platinum Explorer has to the combination of road surface and air temperature. On a hot summer 85 degree day the road noise is significantly less and tolerable. Drop the air temperature to 50 and the vehicle is a vibrating boom box, especially at speeds under 40mph. Two Ford dealerships have looked at the vehicle and both did not find anything mechanically wrong.

Last edited:

Back