Multiple suspension noises | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

I have the same odd sound in my front suspension like something is loose. I don't hear it on hard bumps, but rather on uneven pavement and very small bumps. It sounds like something just isn't connected properly, and makes a slight knocking sound. Oddly enough, I occasionally hear almost the same noise when the engine starts, either from a cold start or the auto stop/start. Engine mount perhaps?? I had the dealer inspect the vehicle and they found nothing loose. I know I can hear it, and that I'm not crazy!! Something is wrong here.
I hear it on my ‘21 ST also. In the front end it sounds like something is loose when going over uneven pavement or bumpy road. Our mechanic thinks he may have heard it on a test drive after I was rear ended only 2 weeks of owning the car (insert eye roll). He’s going to check it out once the bumper part comes in (if it ever does). He seems to think suspension but there is a recall on some of the 21’s for loose engine mounts. Mine is not in the/a recall— yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

same problem on mine. such a terrible car for $60k.....should of bought a Macan or 4 Runner

Ford Mgt IQ=Ford Stock Price
My ‘21 ST makes the same rattling noise in the front when going over uneven or bumpy areas. I was minorly rear ended 2 weeks after owning it but heard it prior to the accident. My mechanic heard the noise when we test drove it when I went to drop it off. So once my actual bumper parts come in they are going to take a look at the suspension and motor mounts. There is a recall on the ‘21 models for loose motor mounts beginning early February with build dates of October ‘20. My vin does not have a recall but I would put money on it there will be another recall adding to the list.

I guess I can be #7 but in all honesty, I figured it was normal. My 2011 made the exact same noise in the exact same places I frequently drive.
I’ll be #8 on my ‘21 ST :(

I am sure there will be a TSB for this in the near future. It wont take long for Ford to get these lemon laws back and have their engineering team figure it out.

Sorry to see you switch over to a Korean vehicle.
My Platinum 2020, same issue, Rattle over small bumps and a 5mph over a speed bump. Dealer had digital ears on the chassis and noted couldn't find anything wrong. 2WD models, no rattle. Drove a 2021, same noise. So now what? I'm hoping FORD does something. I guess I could go the by back route but I like the explorer. Obviously something in the sub-chassis of the AWD. Anyone have anything new to add?

Thanks.

Latest update...they are going to replace the stabilizer links sometime next week when the parts arrive. 23 days in the shop and counting.
They did that on mine since there was a TSB on it. Noise is still there. ugh...

I’m in a similar situation. 27 days in the shop as of today and still no answers. On my last call with Ford customer support earlier this week, I requested a buyback and it is currently under review. I don’t want a different vehicle either. There isn’t a comparable option in the class as far as hp, room, and looks are concerned. I won’t take a replacement (if given the option) knowing this problem is likely to persist. Not sure which vehicle we will turn to as an option. Guess I better start looking!
Hate to say it, but drove a 2021 Platinum at the dealership, same noise. Does FORD read these forums??

Hate to say it, but drove a 2021 Platinum at the dealership, same noise. Does FORD read these forums??
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
At one time Ford a two reps on this Forum but I understand that Ford pulled its reps from all forums about 3 years ago. Whether they bother to read them is anyone's guess.

Peter

I have the same odd sound in my front suspension like something is loose. I don't hear it on hard bumps, but rather on uneven pavement and very small bumps. It sounds like something just isn't connected properly, and makes a slight knocking sound. Oddly enough, I occasionally hear almost the same noise when the engine starts, either from a cold start or the auto stop/start. Engine mount perhaps?? I had the dealer inspect the vehicle and they found nothing loose. I know I can hear it, and that I'm not crazy!! Something is wrong here.
Same exact here.

I took delivery of my 2020 ST in late September 2019. I noticed the suspension noise early, and mentioned it to my dealer, but since I was otherwise generally happy with the ST, I decided to wait for Ford to come out with a TSB to correct the problem. Well time passed, I watched the forum and saw that dealers tried various fixes to no avail, and no TSB appeared. A couple of months ago, I decided to let my dealer take a crack at the problem. Long story short, they replaced both front sway bar links which of course didn’t fix the problem.

I noticed a couple of members post that after they put aftermarket exhausts systems on their STs the noise disappeared. I suspect that the new exhaust system either masked the noise, or the “mellow” sound of the new exhaust distracted the owners’ attention away from the annoying noise. Maybe I should consider a Borla exhaust…………………..😒

Pertaining to this dead bump sound mystery that my dealer claims they didn't hear, but my wife did: While changing my oil a few months ago I noticed my left front lower control are could....twist? I've never seen this on a vehicle....ever. So I torqued it to the correct spec. Bolt was a little loose, but it still twisted....still have the sound. I'll bet this small amount of play is contributing to the noise, since it is very subtle and not noticeable going over bigger bumps, only small, softer bumps.

My left lower control arm can be twisted. Have the dealer check this. From what I remember, these should not twist in a vehicle.

Last edited:

I took delivery of my 2020 ST in late September 2019. I noticed the suspension noise early, and mentioned it to my dealer, but since I was otherwise generally happy with the ST, I decided to wait for Ford to come out with a TSB to correct the problem. Well time passed, I watched the forum and saw that dealers tried various fixes to no avail, and no TSB appeared. A couple of months ago, I decided to let my dealer take a crack at the problem. Long story short, they replaced both front sway bar links which of course didn’t fix the problem.

I noticed a couple of members post that after they put aftermarket exhausts systems on their STs the noise disappeared. I suspect that the new exhaust system either masked the noise, or the “mellow” sound of the new exhaust distracted the owners’ attention away from the annoying noise. Maybe I should consider a Borla exhaust…………………..😒

Yeah, upgrading to Borla exhaust I don't even feel that suspension noise anymore or maybe it has just difficult to hear because you hear the Borla exhaust even on speeds of 10mph to 25mph when accelerating. To tell you the truth, I almost forgot about this issue or this thread after it was started over 1 year ago.

Yeah, upgrading to Borla exhaust I don't even feel that suspension noise anymore or maybe it has just difficult to hear because you hear the Borla exhaust even on speeds of 10mph to 25mph when accelerating. To tell you the truth, I almost forgot about this issue or this thread after it was started over 1 year ago.
Hard to believe this issue is still ongoing. Like one of the other user here, I drove a 2021 Plat and the same noise. I assume this noise is present on all the AWD models? I know for sure it's on the ST and Platinum models. I hope one day FORD finds the issue and fixes it for all.

2020 Explorer Platinum

Hard to believe this issue is still ongoing. Like one of the other user here, I drove a 2021 Plat and the same noise. I assume this noise is present on all the AWD models? I know for sure it's on the ST and Platinum models. I hope one day FORD finds the issue and fixes it for all.

2020 Explorer Platinum
Same issue here.. thought it was me being picky, until I found this thread. Have a 2020 ST. Love the car. Annoyed it feels like shocks bottom out over small bumps at low speeds. It’s my wife’s primary driver. I haven’t really brought it up to
Her yet because you hear/feel.. hard to get out of your head.
Hoping for a fix soon

Same issue here.. thought it was me being picky, until I found this thread. Have a 2020 ST. Love the car. Annoyed it feels like shocks bottom out over small bumps at low speeds. It’s my wife’s primary driver. I haven’t really brought it up to
Her yet because you hear/feel.. hard to get out of your head.
Hoping for a fix soon
I don't know if I'd hold my breath waiting for a fix. There is a report here of a 2021 with the same issue.:(

Peter

I don't know if I'd hold my breath waiting for a fix. There is a report here of a 2021 with the same issue.:(

Peter
I strongly suggest you take the vehicle back to your dealer and get your money back !! I had my ST for a year and Ford did nothing. Turned in after 1 year of the lease. Never to own a Ford product again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here it is the end of July and no fix or answer from ford on the suspension noise.

Paul

Back