Multiple suspension noises | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

So it looks like when I take my car in on Tuesday for the chassis ear checks I have nothing to look forward to ! Just a trip using up my lease miles.
You can have some of mine Bill. It takes me about 4 years to get to the 1 year allowance.;) When the dealer took back my 2017 Platinum it was exactly at the 3 year lease period and it had 7,400 miles on it.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can have some of mine Bill. It takes me about 4 years to get to the 1 year allowance.;) When the dealer took back my 2017 Platinum it was exactly at the 3 year lease period and it had 7,400 miles on it.

Peter

Have you had any issues with your Aviator ?

Just got back from the Chicago Auto Show. Talked to the Ford rep about the front end problems. He said they had some issue on the earlier models but all that has been taken care of. Wondering what the latest build date is of someone who has the front end noise that ford can't fix.

Just got back from the Chicago Auto Show. Talked to the Ford rep about the front end problems. He said they had some issue on the earlier models but all that has been taken care of. Wondering what the latest build date is of someone who has the front end noise that ford can't fix.

Did you happen to ask what the fix was ?

Have you had any issues with your Aviator ?
The only thing I've had an issue with is the Rain Sensing Wipers. I'm getting random sweeps even though there is no rain. I've had the same issue with the 2011 Explorer in which they changed the module but it didn't fix it. Same issue with the 2014 MKT and 2017 Platinum. I'm not too impressed with the amount of noise the engine makes when accelerating from a stop. I don't know if the ST is the same or not. It makes the initial transmission shifts very audible. Somewhat like a 'stick shift'.

Peter

The only thing I've had an issue with is the Rain Sensing Wipers. I'm getting random sweeps even though there is no rain. I've had the same issue with the 2011 Explorer in which they changed the module but it didn't fix it. Same issue with the 2014 MKT and 2017 Platinum. I'm not too impressed with the amount of noise the engine makes when accelerating from a stop. I don't know if the ST is the same or not. It makes the initial transmission shifts very audible. Somewhat like a 'stick shift'.

Peter

My wifes 2018 Audi Q5 does the same thing with the wipers. Going down the road , no rain, sun shining, 80 degrees and the wipers sweep ! Engine /Transmission noise is the same. I noticed it when I test drove a Aviator. I thought overall the Aviator was quieter.

Our ST does it every once in a while in the bright sun. I dont think this tech is ever flawless. Glare from sun I think triggers the camera to think something is on the windshield.

I don't trust those "reps" at car shows to know a darn thing. I remember 2 years ago when the Aviator was at the NY car show. My wife and I knew more about it then the reps and we were rolling our eyes listening to them speak to people around it (most of their info was inaccurate).

OK FOLKS YOU READY FOR THIS !!!!!!! Took my ST in for the suspension noise issue for the second installment to see what the dealer could come up with. A different tech worked on mine for a day and a half. He was aware of the noise issues ( struts being changed and so on ) so he did not go into the trouble shooting blind. He did not use the " chassis ears " but instead used a rubber mallet to tap on all under side components, arms, joints, mounts etc. HE FOUND A MUFFLER SHIELD NOT SECURED ! HE REPOSITIONED IT TO THE CORRECT POSITION AND RESECURED . Hear is the surprising thing........THE CAR IS QUIETER, NOT PERFECT BUT A WHOLE LOT BETTER. WILL DRIVE IT SOME MORE AND SEE HOW IT GOES.

OK FOLKS YOU READY FOR THIS !!!!!!! Took my ST in for the suspension noise issue for the second installment to see what the dealer could come up with. A different tech worked on mine for a day and a half. He was aware of the noise issues ( struts being changed and so on ) so he did not go into the trouble shooting blind. He did not use the " chassis ears " but instead used a rubber mallet to tap on all under side components, arms, joints, mounts etc. HE FOUND A MUFFLER SHIELD NOT SECURED ! HE REPOSITIONED IT TO THE CORRECT POSITION AND RESECURED . Hear is the surprising thing........THE CAR IS QUIETER, NOT PERFECT BUT A WHOLE LOT BETTER. WILL DRIVE IT SOME MORE AND SEE HOW IT GOES.

Congratulations I hope it solves the problem with your vehicle

Can you imagine if that's all it is and people have had all these buy backs. That could make sense being the dual mufflers (quads) being different on the 3.0s which are the only ones that have that exhaust and the only ones having the noise.

Keep us all posted.

I'm skeptical, most say it's like something heavy thumping around. Heat shield is super light weight.

Whether or not is fixes the issue, I like the 'old school' way of 'fault' finding.;)

Peter

I'm skeptical, most say it's like something heavy thumping around. Heat shield is super light weight.

I crawled under the rear to check out this heat shield and it is not really that light of a material. I was thinking it would be a thin light weight flexible piece, wrong. It is a heavy gauge molded piece over the mufflers and attached to the frame. If a fastener (bolt in this case) was not there or not secure the shield will hit the frame etc.

I crawled under the rear to check out this heat shield and it is not really that light of a material. I was thinking it would be a thin light weight flexible piece, wrong. It is a heavy gauge molded piece over the mufflers and attached to the frame. If a fastener (bolt in this case) was not there or not secure the shield will hit the frame etc.

Mufflers are on the rear of the car, but the noise is coming from front suspension. someone needs to take a pic of the heat shield location underneath the truck.

We are waiting for you to take a drive and report back lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mufflers are on the rear of the car, but the noise is coming from front suspension. someone needs to take a pic of the heat shield location underneath the truck.

My noise was coming from somewhere under the car, not necessarily the front. Really hard to tell.

I could feel the noise in the drivers seat !

Back