Mustang Powerdyne Supercharger to Exp. Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang Powerdyne Supercharger to Exp. Limited

This will not be a huge power build and I may not get around to it till summer. I want to run it at only 6lbs of boost, in my low mileage 2001 Explorer Limited. This for ***** and giggles on my preferred daily driver. I will tune it with a Tweecer and larger injectors.

I bought a used Powerdyne Mustang 5.0 kit off of Corral.net. The biggest issue will be getting the blower mounted and driven. I unpacked it today and found Frankenbracket pictured below. It moves the alternator down and the blower mounts above and to passenger side. It's the mustang set-up and I need to compare the bracket mounting depth to the Explorer. I will get to a wrecking yard and pull a stock Explorer bracket to compare and work with.

photo.gif

The Used Kit
kit.gif

As Mounted in the Stang
stang-install.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscribed!:popcorn:

Me 2. I sure hope just a new bracket can be made out of a chunk of thick sheet metal easily.

Another 5.0 explorer motor in full front dress sitting on a crate sure would come in handy for this.

I think when we strip out the next one at the shop im gonna chop the nose off and put it on a dolly in my garage,

the motor that pulley is going on is a 347 from a mustang. she had to get it made because its a 347.

The Crankshaft Pulley on the Explorer is integral to the balancer. The combo Accessory/Blower Crankshaft pulley I got won't work as it is for a Mustang.

The Explorer serpentine crank pulley is 1-1/4 inch shorter than the Fox Mustang Pulley, or the belt is 1 1/4" closer to the block. The Explorer set-up up is shorter than the Mustang and that will be the challenge in adapting the kit. It looks like I will have to work with the Crankshaft pulley and Blower/Alternator mounting. I am guessing, at this point, that I will have to cut down the Mustang bracket and hoping I can find a solution to the crankshaft pulley. It looks like Powerdyne shipped a new double pulley/balancer where Saleen utilized a pulley that would bolt onto the existing pulley/balancer.

I did some research last night and put together some pictures of a similar install, Mustang install, and Explorer front dress. The plumbing is different between the Mustang and Explorer.

5.0-charged.gif

5.0-charged-2.gif

stang-install2.gif

exp-5.0-fully-dressed-engine-pic.gif

the first 2 pics you have are from bob's truck. i THINK he is more active on the ranger station

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257842

the kit he has is the same one as the other link i posted.
yup, v8 explorer front dress is shorter then a v8 mustang. something is also telling me you may have to clock the blower different for a explorer if you use a mustang blower

This is the combo balancer and double pulley for the Crank that would come with the Powerdyne Kit for Explorer. One pulley is for the supercharger. I may be able to set the blower back 1 3/4" to lineup and run with the rest of the accecesories. Otherwise I will need to fabricate/weld/bolt-up a pulley next to the stock one. Not as simple as bolting-up a combo accessory and blower pulley as with the Fox Mustang.

crank-pulley.gif

I am checking to see how Vortech and Paxton resolved the issue, but think I could avoid it by running the blower with the rest of the accessories. The double pulley gets a little to close for me to the fan and radiator anyway.

Props to http://www.superchargerrebuild.com/?page_id=236
He is trying to buy-up stuff for these blowers and got back to me on some questions first thing this Monday morning.

This is from the guy at supercharger rebuilds:

"Hi just FYI, I got my hands on some plans for the Powerdyne brackets for the Explorer 5.0, so I gonna look into getting some brackets made...

Just wanted to let you know I'm still working on it...

Thanks,"

I tried to explain to him the double crank pulley/balancer issue in hopes he may redesign or cut the bracket to run the blower off of the main belt..................

Man that would be great.

His reply to this:

Hey the issue with Powerdyne on the explorer is they also used a special double crank pulley/balancer, The damn stock pulley is integral to the balancer. It would be nice if the brackets could be made to run the blower off of the main pulley rather than having to fab a double crank pulley/balancer as well.

"OK thanks for the info, I will see what I can do..."

I do not think that one 6 rib belt will do for all the accessories plus a supercharger. The tension required to eliminate slipping will eat bearings and shred belts IMO.

I do not think that one 6 rib belt will do for all the accessories plus a supercharger. The tension required to eliminate slipping will eat bearings and shred belts IMO.

No problem! I didn't just pull the idea out of my ass.

I have seen and set-up blowers on the main belt. We are not talking lots of boost so the blower is not that much of a strain. Just installed a Banshee kit over the weekend, with an Eaton M90, in my sons Ranger, designed to run off the main belt as was the Kennebell charger I ran in the past.

With the X there isn't much room up front and running off the main would eliminate any of those clearance problems. It's how I will set it up.

Better pic of how the blower mounts:

x-bracket-pics.gif

Subscribed as well!

subscribed - looking good.

Yes, please keep posting pics. I have an m90 from a tbird and a couple identical turbo's that I have acquired but I am interested in the different ways people are doing this. I like the idea of not having to get an intake manifold or reroute the coils and I really don't like the idea of remote placement turbo's, even if people have succeeded with them.. just not my taste.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any further info on the bracket or the pulley? I am trying to find a way to get my Explorer supercharged. Has anyone tried the Kenne Bell top mount blower from the Mustang?

Back