• Register Today It's free!

my 00 ex??? still locked in?

project92

Reaction score
City, State
missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
00E.B.,93 xlt 92 xlt
we used the 4wd in the ex last week (pulling my 4 wheeler out of the pond) and ever since it feels like the 4wd is lock in steering is tighter than normal when turning in my drive way almost feel like it wants to wheel hopp
00 e.b 4.0sohc control trac
I backed up so I'm kinda confusied....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to get that thing unlocked! You're going to blow the transfer case. The front and rear differentials have slightly different ratios and are not designed to be run on dry pavement. Makers do this to take the backlash out of the driveline. If both had the exact same ratio, the car would surge from loading up one side of the gear teeth and then decelerate until it loaded up the backside. Instead, they purposely bind one side of the tooth and depend upon wheel slippage (snow, mud) to take the load off the transfer case. You're on dry pavement, though. Something's gotta give.

Ummmmm, no. The Explorers have exactly the same ratios front and rear. I've worked on more Explorer drivetrains than I care to remember, and never seen one that had different ratio gears. You end up binding the drivetrain when you corner due to the difference in wheel speeds, that's what will fubar your xfer case.

Project92, with the control trac system, you don't need to back up to unlock the hubs since there are no auto hubs to unlock. All the locking/unlocking is done in the transfer case. I would suspect that the transfer case shift motor is not functioning properly. Check out this link. http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/exp.html . There is a section in there on transfer case issues and how to rebuild your shift motor. It's a very common problem.

Jdraper,
I'll defer to you on the Explorer differentials; I haven't ever worked on mine and am relying on what I learned with 3 Cherokees. Scuttlebutt had it that Ford had pretty widely spaced front/rear ratios (like 3:55 and 3:51) while Jeeps were more closely matched although still different. I stand corrected.

Regards

well if it that then I'll just swap the shift motor from my old t- case from my 97

Back