My 1994 4-Door Explorer Make-Over | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 1994 4-Door Explorer Make-Over

Basically it is now a buggy. Chopped most of the sheetmetal off, redesigned my cage, redesigned the rear suspension and shortened the wheelbase to ~105" from the 122" it was at.

Trail pics to HOPEFULLY come soon!

redo7.jpg

redo8.jpg

redo11.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i like it
oh ya, nice flex too

Holy $hit cory, lookin good!

WOW:eek:

cory, that is sweet..... :)

EDIT: Just a question... How much would that cost an average person to have you build their truck like that?

I personally like the white rear panels! Make sure you wax them Cory... Keep that water far away from that lovely white color! :cool:
Pete

I don't see what you've done?! Wasn't 1/4E and tube rear end a factory option in '94?;)

Oh, I reread your post. It sounds like you're going to put some different turn signals on. You should get some of those 'bling bling' clear corners that some of the pseudo-ricer-lowered X's on this site have!

Nice work!

Cheers
Dale...wishing he could play jungle jim with his X

You should get some of those 'bling bling' clear corners that some of the pseudo-ricer-lowered X's on this site have!
Hey! :mad: :D

Lookin' good Cory. :D

Originally posted by section525
Hey! :mad:

Sorry, but up here in BC we have trees. And trees love corner lights...

Cory, sorry to hi-jack your thread.

Originally posted by jimabena74
cory, that is sweet..... :)

EDIT: Just a question... How much would that cost an average person to have you build their truck like that?

Well...

Let's break it down based on what I have done.

Ford RC D60 front. 5.13 gears. Detroit Locker. Warn Premium hubs. New bearings, rotors, pads, and calipers.

Dynatrac axle would be about $5000-6000 and would be a lot better.

A junkyard Ford D60 front is going to be about $1000. Then add $200 for gears. $250 in labor for gears. $100 for install kit. $500 for a locker. $180 for hubs. $50 in bearings. $150 in rotors. $15 in pads. $100 in calipers. Total appx $2500.

Ford SC D60 rear. 5.13 gears. Detroit locker. New bearings. Disc conversion.

Dynatrac rear would be about $2500-$3500 and would be a lot better.

Junkyard rear D60 is going to be about $200. $200 in gears. $250 in labor. $100 for an install kit. $500 for a locker. $400 in disc conversion. $50 in bearings. Total appx. $1700.

So we are at $4200 just in axles.

Coilovers are about $1000 for a pair.

Atlas 2 is about $2500.

1/4 elliptic setup is going to be about $1500 in parts.

Front SAS with a D60 will be about $1500 for regular coils or $2500 for coilovers in parts alone.

Steering links are $150 per link.

Full hydro conversion with non-return to center valve =$800. Add $300 for return to center valve.

Cage is going to be about $750.

BII gas tank conversion = $350

Seats are whatever you can get them for. As low as $60 per seat to $500 per seat. Harnesses are about $65 per harness.

I am sure I am missing other stuff like brakelines, etc.

My rate right now for labor is cheap for my field at about $50 per hour.

I would say the total cost for labor would be anywhere between $5000-$7500.

Parts look like they total about $12,000 for what I have listed.

So you are looking at about $18,000.

Now that is a scary ass figure since it is all compiled. You can cut that down a lot too with different axles, regular coil springs, etc etc.

FRIGGIN AWESOME!! nice to see the explo represented in the tube-buggy crowd.:)

that actually sounds pretty reasonable... when i asked rick over a year sgo how much his truck was worth/has cost he said about $25k.....

what i really want is a full cage with the front clip redesigned with a tubular apron.. much like justin mcniels explorer.... but to keep the stock parts..... i basically want a full on caged buggy but with mounts for sheetmetal... has to be street legal... but can be borderline at that.... that way with stock suspension i can run 33s with full lockers...

Things just can't be good enough for you can they Cory? haha

Looks great man, looking forward to seeing it again and seeing some action shots. When are you hoping to take it out?

Happy trails!!

ps respond to the last email i sent you cause i've got some more stuff to ask you:D

Go "Ashland Ford-Mercury"!!!

That thing is simply a freaky beast!!!

Robb

edit: you can't go wheelin without a driveshaft!:D

nice cory

BTW wheres your new shop?

Looking pretty cool Cory. BTW, I emailed you a few days ago, get back to me when you can.

1800 Posts!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back