My 2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 Supercab | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 Supercab

I had the dealer instal mine this year because they said they have the new improved version and it came with a 2year warranty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the dealer instal mine this year because they said they have the new improved version and it came with a 2year warranty.

New improved version of the water pump? I would like to know more about this.
Do you have a receipt with a part number we could check into?
If there is a better part I am all for it.

I do... but I dont know how to rotate the image and it wont let me edit away the duplicate image. Lol

Screenshot_20190819-174952_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190819-174952_Gallery.jpg

My regular mechanic changed the thermostat the previous year then about 6-8 months I noticed it was low on water so I filled it back up. Then I started smelling antifreeze. I had the dealership diagnos the leak. It was the housing, just like the guys on the ranger forums predicted. I figure it cracked when the thermostat was replaced and I didnt notice because I dont drive my ranger all the time. It never overheated. I talked the the service writer about how these are notoriously defective. He said there have been improvements and that they warranty it for 2 years. I'm swapping in a V8 now but I wanted to be assured I didnt have another leaker till then.

Oh you are talking about the thermostat housing.
I had a leaking water pump.
When I first got this truck I replaced the thermostat housing with an aluminum one made by Simons Autosports.
I have one on my Supercharged Explorer as well, it has been on there for years and no more problems.

IMG_2118.JPG

I do that kind of stuff all the time. LOL I blame it on my age. LOL

I put a transmission mount in my Ranger today.
Vibration is still there. 80-85 mph it starts.
I will continue to look into it, maybe I will find it some day. LOL

I picked up a MTS4100 vibration analyzer and did some testing.
Its does show up as a first order driveline vibration.
I have had the shaft rebuilt and balanced etc, but may look into checking runout of the flanges and the driveshaft itself.
There is also an aftermarket muffler hanger that looks suspicious to me.

More to come, eventually.

Yesterday (1-11-2020) it was about 65 degrees outside and felt like spring time.
I used the time to change the oil and install a drivers side valve cover gasket.
Last year I had a small coolant hose fail which led to overheating. Shortly after overheating the waterpump failed, and then I started smelling oil burning.
So, I blame the valve cover gasket failure on the old age of the gasket and the over heating. The old gasket was crushed and a bit hardened.
The passenger side will be done later when I have the time and good weather again. 65F this weekend and calling for snow next weekend, LOL.

IMG_5500.JPG

IMG_5504.JPG

IMG_5508.JPG

Good job, and thanks for the suggestion. I'm soon to replace my 99 timing components again, and I didn't think of the VC gaskets.

Goodbye 2nd, 5th, and reverse.... I will miss you!
Yep, the transmission just went. I'm down to one vehicle, my 2004 supercharged Explorer 4 door.
This is going to be interesting.

Okay, so you want me to rebuild that 5R55E after I finish mine? I've been working on, starting, no, trying to start on mine for two years.

I bought two 98 Limited's since then, one lost 3rd/4th and the WP squeaks, the other I smell coolant more than I like. I can lend you the one 98, or a 95 Crown Vic, or my dad's 09 CTS, or my newest 73 Ranchero. What do you like?

Okay, so you want me to rebuild that 5R55E after I finish mine? I've been working on, starting, no, trying to start on mine for two years.

I bought two 98 Limited's since then, one lost 3rd/4th and the WP squeaks, the other I smell coolant more than I like. I can lend you the one 98, or a 95 Crown Vic, or my dad's 09 CTS, or my newest 73 Ranchero. What do you like?
LOL, thanks man!
Right after posting the above post, the EGR fitting for my 2000 Explorer showed up.
I am waiting for a driver side valve cover too, but had to throw it all back together tonight so I can get my poor Ranger into the garage.
Took the 2000 Explorer for a 6 mile ride and it is doing ok so far. Still got some things to replace on it but at least it is drivable again.
Tomorrow I plant to get the Ranger into the garage if possible, got to start pulling that trans out.

Also I have a good 98 Explorer transmission I might pull out of the old blue 4 door.
Any idea if it would work in the 2001 Ranger? I know some 5R55E's have different sensors etc.

The only one I'm sure of is the 97 model, that first 5R had a couple of sensors or similar that make them unique. I had a Ford tech friend who taught me that by his bad experience fixing his wife's 97 trans. he tried a swap first, and then discovered slowly the differences. So I think the 1997 5R is the only one to avoid, others should swap easily.

Wiring to the valve body is the same but sometime in 01 an ISS sensor was added in and might be a deal breaker

Wiring to the valve body is the same but sometime in 01 an ISS sensor was added in and might be a deal breaker

Was that part of that Job 2 revision I've heard about?

Yes I believe so but I am not positive. I know you can swap the newer trans backwards but it doesn't work the other way. Ive got both running around the shop, I'll try to snap a pic of the difference.

Good, so he could look at the trans and see if it has the added extra speed sensor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last night I finally started working on this poor Ranger.
The fluid was drained already(I did this September 26th) and no metal in it at all, in fact the fluid looked red just like new fluid does. LOL.
Up to now it was just sitting on jack stands in the front, and the rear tires were still on the ground. I got the rear jack stands under the rear axle and have both the front and rear jack stands almost all the way up now. They are 24 inch SUV jack stands that I got from Pep Boys quite a few years ago. This allows me to get the transmission out form under the vehicle when it is on the Harbor Freight Transmission floor jack.

I was able to remove both the driveshafts, the O2 sensors, both catalytic converter pipes, the starter, and all 4 of the torque converter nuts.
All this was done after work yesterday, today I plan on removing the dipstick tube, shifter cable and bracket, the wiring harness, and the transfer case.
If I still have time and energy I will drop the transmission crossmember and pull the transmission out. We will see how it goes.

I ended up buying a rebuild kit, and a remanufactured valve body and already have them sitting on my dinning room table LOL. I need to start soaking the bands and clutches soon. I have a remanufactured torque converter and some other parts I bought years ago for the blue truck that I just sent off to the junkyard. When I bought those I was going to rebuild that transmission but found the fluid to be full of metallic debris so I installed a junkyard transmission (got a few years out of it too). That junkyard transmission was still working when It got towed away.

After I get the transmission out, I need to pull the passenger side valve cover to check the rear timing chain guide. I have heard noises at start up that make me believe that the guide is broken. If it is I will replace the guide while I have the transmission out.

IMG_8743.JPG

Back