• Register Today It's free!

my 4.0 sounds like a diesel

4wheelx

Reaction score
City, State
Portage, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
:redexp: my 4.0 sounds like a diesel what the hell i was gonna replace the lifters, pushrods, and new gaskets but i also heard the catylac converter can make it sound like one or some other bull will somone please help so i can fix this its embarassing and id like to fix my engine so i can start doing mods to it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whoa really? How can I make my X sound like a diesel? That would be way cool, IMO :D

trust me u do not want it sounding like how mine does

Whoa I just noticed you live in Portage, I live up in Cooper, not too far. Is it possible that your truck has an exaust leak that is making it loud?

well there was a about a penny sized hole in the canister but i patched it but u can also tell a loud noise is coming from underneath the valve covers so..

my 94' did it when we got it I just thought it was normal because it was loudest when I 1st started it up than after I started driving it would go away a little, but you could here it when I was stopped. Our dealership is mad cool (Holman Lincoln Mercury) but of course it wouldn't make the sound when I brought it over to them about 4 times so they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I ended up getting a flowmaster exhaust because the muffler shop put it on a lift and there was a small hole in the muffler. After the Flows it went away for a month and came back again. This time it made the noise at the dealership and they fixed it, it was something with the engine. Only thing is I can't remember what it was becasue I got my X 4yrs ago when I was 16 and thats when it made the noise. But it was something under the hood, I just can't remeber if it was the belts or something.

Whoa really? How can I make my X sound like a diesel? That would be way cool, IMO

Trust me you wouldn't want it to sound like it, it doesn't make that big rig diesel sound, more like a ****ty annoying sounds like marbles getting thrown around. Mine wasn't that bad, it was loudest after startup.

If your sound is comming from the valve covers have them checked because maybe thats what the dealership fixed on my truck, I do know that it was under the hood, and not the exhaust system. I think it was probably the valve covers.:)

Back