my 97 xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my 97 xlt

heres my 97 Explorer XLT Registry . with the 4.0 OHV engine ,auto trans, rear wheel drive

i got her in 2007 and still very reliable today .i only plan to do some small mods this registry will mainly be used to keep track repairs and the changes i make

here are some pics i took the first day i made the registry
(dead links)
passenger side view

engine compartment all stock pretty much
(dead links)

console removed to show the bracket i used to secure it to the ground and to get some cleaning done as well
(dead links)

an old pic of interior [was in the process of cleaning and replacing the radio bezel and rear view mirror on this pic was just a temporary until after i fixed the compass on my other one]
(dead links)

i replaced the duct to make the console fit perfectly and get floor a/c or heat and to the rear. removing the other one was a nightmare
(dead links)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice lookin explorer u plan on doing mods do it

thanks! i have a few mods i want to do .leather seats, get a new intake ,replace the headliner so i can have the overhead console since mines didnt come with one wich ima replace the map lights with led light bulbs , also upgrade my amp and flush and replace the fluids. ive already installed the the full console, i changed all the gauges with the green illumination instead of the light blue, replaced the ball joints and shocks

i already have the complete overhead console with the wires and bracket im jus missing some screws and a temp sensor and then i can install it
(dead links)

here a few pics of the old stuff

(dead links)
i sold the short console which almost looked new after i gave a good cleaning and the arm rest as well. i ended up making more than what i actually paid for the one in the truck now

Very nice! :thumbsup:

lookin good that stereo looks excatly like mine did u get that off an 01 sport.

yea it came off a 2002 sport and got for a steal only paid $10 for it and its was worth every penny:D , this one plays all my cd's with no problems. the original cd player it had didn't read rewritable cd's and would sometimes skip even if i put a new cd in which was aggravating
(dead links)

update 1/14/11 replaced the front bearings over the weekend sorry no pics this time as my camera is dead.. i also replaced the radio bezel now the rear defrost and wiper switches light up again:D

changed my rear brakes yesterday those old ones were pretty worn down and decided to take a pic of the old bearings btw those are just empty boxes the new ones are already on the truck:D

(dead links)

It's shiny like my head... :D

What all is involved in the rear bearings? Do they pull out pretty easy?

And your steering wheel is crazy shiny.

thanks! i like it because it feels smooth

those were the front bearings that were replaced and the rear ones are still good . i read up on a thread on rear bearings on the site a few weeks back on the transmission forum section. to me seems it would be a more difficult task

The Ex looks nice for its age....but your location helps :)

today was a good day for a car wash since the x was down for 2 days a part went bad and caused my belt to snap ill post more details later. got it all fixed and back on the road once again:cool:

(dead links)

here was the cause the bearing from the pulley broke off somehow and it had completly stopped moving which caused the belt to snap the x sat in my driveway for over 2 days untill i had all the parts
(dead links)
Future work to be done for now

oil change needed soon
replace thermostat and flush coolant
flush and replace power steering fluid
fix/replace the headliner so i can finally get my overhead console up
get different seats still debating on cloth or leather

2/6/11
finally got the thermostat and the coolant flushed. it didnt look as bad as i thought it would , but the heat output is alot better now

(dead links)

the old thermostat was still intact (forgot to mention the temp gage is back to normal)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back