My 98 super charged EX | Page 70 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 98 super charged EX

1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Last run from 05-31-2019

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

First run from 06-04-2019
Finally Back in the 12's

Nice I was just watching on YouTube it popped up in recommend videos:usa::usa::usa:

Thanks! I hope I don't become annoying with my videos all over the place. Trying to grow an audience on youtube.

I hope to get some time to work on it soon, I have to change my rpm signal wire from the coil to an injector.
That should make the nitrous controller more accurate.
This weekend I am helping a buddy with his 1970 something blazer on 44's.
Has been down for a while so we have to flush the tank and do some brake work.

Cool, it's still smoothly doing the job. I love any videos of Explorers etc. I don't like any songs in the audio that are loud at all, I have to mute that and jump ahead to where the songs end. Lower the volume a bunch for that, to a low level.

Minor rant; about watching a video of fireworks, people want a sound track and they make it as loud as the fireworks, which for that, ruins it. Here in Knoxville we had a Labor day show called Boomsday, for close to 15 years. I loved going to it, but I had to find a spot as far away from the speakers as possible. I would pay for a good fireworks video, but it would have to have virtually no sounds masking the show, and wide field of views, not narrow etc. Fireworks in person are wonderful, awesome, but a video of it should attempt to reproduce it, not do anything else but that.

I have hearing problems so I don't know what is too loud or too soft.
I just got hearing aids today, I was walking around at work thinking how different everything sounds with them in.
Also people like different kinds of music, and free music is hard to find for YouTube videos.
I was informed that I shouldn't put music where the truck is racing because most like to hear the engine/supercharger.
Is the music much louder than the video sound of the truck and engine?

I don't mean to pick on yours, most online videos are the same way. I'd call it loud enough for a party atmosphere for a small group of people. Maybe half that would be better.

Keeper coming:dpchug:

I don't mean to pick on yours, most online videos are the same way. I'd call it loud enough for a party atmosphere for a small group of people. Maybe half that would be better.

I appreciate the feedback, it helps me work to do better.
There are so many adjustable features in the editing software I am using, I am still learning.
I will try lowering the music volume in the next video I edit, I will make it lower than the engine/supercharger by a bit.
Maybe I can do two edits and post them here for a quick review and you guys can give me feedback on which one is better.

I'd love to build a youtube channel etc, but I'd have to do a lot more to make it useful. I do have to build a 4R70W right now, I lost 3rd and 4th Wednesday coming home. This 4R I have parts for was to be my strongest, for the blower etc. I hope I can remember how to put one together, and find the new planetary and reverse drum I got years ago to do it.

Keep teaching, and learning us all about how to keep that V6/5R flying fast.

Tried to post this earlier but something was up with the server I guess.
I tried something called normalizing in the audio editing, don't know if it worked or not.
This run was from 06-04-2019

Dam vac lines

3mph faster than the Mustang, that's cool. Was it just a vacuum line, I hope?

Blew off three vacuum lines, only could attach two at the track. Had to remove supercharger intake elbow to get to the third one.
That requires RTV on my setup. I did fix it the next day.
I am hoping there are no more problems but have not had time to even look at it.

Just wondering about this and not sure why I am just now thinking about it. But Are you running the same or original Transmission? I believe I have the 5r55e trans in mine. Thanks

Yes he is with little repair

Be careful with that transmission they are tricky
@4pointslow Will tell all if any mods and or repairs he has done

Be careful with that transmission they are tricky
@4pointslow Will tell all if any mods and or repairs he has done

Thanks @donalds Yeah I am hoping. I will be using mine as a wheeling rig. Not Major like Buggies do but mainly wheeling in Rocks and trails. I might hit a trail a little harder then the one I posted but that is about it. Just want it to be a good wheeling rig. Go Places Jeeps will say "That won't make it!" LOL

I am still running the stock 5R55E but I increased the transmission pressures in the tune. I used information from something called a value file in SCT Advantage3 tuning software, and then adjusted things a little to my liking.
I found out the hard way that the sprag clutches are one of the 5R55E weak points. I was doing a 3,000 RPM 4WD burnout at the track and when I lifted off the gas pedal the trans felt like it was in neutral. Turns out I lost first and second but had D2 which is third gear in the 5R55E. I was able to drive home by starting out in D2 (third) and shifting into D where I had 4th and 5th(O/D). Reverse worked too.

I got used parts off eBay and some new gaskets, and threw it back together. I didn't even replace any clutches, bands, or seals.
I did adjust the bands when I put it back together because you have to.
I have been beating it mercilessly since then and it has held, but I don't do burnouts anymore.
I only have the factory transmission coolers, but I have a 164F degree thermostat so my engine temps don't get as high as they would if you had the factory rated thermostat(195F). I use Castrol MerconV.

Now for 4 wheeling you will want to ask around in those posts of this forum, there are many others that have way more experience with their 5R55E's
I have never 4 wheeled mine, just 1/4 mile racing and used to drive it to work 42 miles from my house. I don't do that anymore since the Exhaust is too loud and the fuel cost me too much. LOL

Back