My A4LD is slipping from first to second gear. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My A4LD is slipping from first to second gear.

I've attached 5 PDFs with information on the A4LD for you to look at.

Attachments

• A4LD.pdf
    5.5 MB · Views: 89
  • A4LD complete..pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 108
  • A4LD-HB.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 86
  • A4LD Parts Catalog..pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 104
  • A4LD servo bore repair information..pdf
    300.2 KB · Views: 119

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

josh I’ve seen this as well I just can’t wrap my head around that. But going to be rebuilding soon I hope, have to figure out my transportation situation first but I will keep y’all posted thanks for the help

josh I’ve seen this as well I just can’t wrap my head around that. But going to be rebuilding soon I hope, have to figure out my transportation situation first but I will keep y’all posted thanks for the help
I think the worn out material the ends up in the fluid creates some friction holding everything together. I've had several A4LD transmissions fail on me. I'll run the auto until I'm walking home then swap a manual transmission in.

in the event I don’t want to rebuild, say I find a trans from a 3.0 RWD ranger, is it just a trans swap? Or is there modifications needed for the ranger trans even if they are both A4LD?

The aerostar transmission tail housing is 3 inches longer than the ranger or explorer transmission.

if I’m correct can that be swapped?

The only way to swap the output shaft is to rebuild the transmission (clutch pack removal). I know that the 4 X 4 output shaft is different than the regular RWD output shaft, but I've never seen a different length output shaft for the regular RWD output shaft. There were a few different types of input shafts which go into the torque converter.

If I was looking for a used A4LD, I'd get one from a 94-95 aerostar with a 4.0L, it is slightly stronger than the 3.0L units Swap the 3.0L bellhousing over. If you found a ranger transmission, it would be faster to change the driveshaft. A Lincoln mark 8 shaft is the perfect length. Keep in mind, the preventive maintenance that killed this transmission could do the same to the next.

It was mentioned that you used merc V fluid. Have you tried flushing the system and putting dex/merc III back in? Also, as mentioned before, if the trans fluid has not been changed for a long time, the new fluid can clean dirt out of the tight spots. Sometimes in a very worn trans, that dirt is what seals the bores and stuff in the trans. Once cleaned out, pressures can change and get into places it shouldn't, not allowing the valves to work as designed. This is why the viscosity of the fluid is important. The fluid itself is the seal of a bore and spool valve in any hydraulic system.

If your van has not had trans work since it was new, 140K miles out of it is really good! Most likely though it has had some sort of transmission work in its past.

Back