Transmission won't shift from first to second | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission won't shift from first to second

dbintx

Reaction score
City, State
North Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
My son's 1995 4.0 Explorer just recently started having a problem. On acceleration from a stop, it will not shift from first to second unless you momentarily let up on the gas. Then it upshifts hard to second. Second to third, third to fourth -- no problems.

There is no slipping going on. The O/D light is blinking, but none of the local auto parts stores can read the OBD I codes on a '95.

I searched threads here and did not find one that specifically addresses this problem.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! You could check EEC-IV codes with a paper clip if you jump the test port to count the flashes. It sounds like the intermediate band might have either broken, needs an adjustment or might have a bad servo piston.

Thanks for the welcome and the quick response.

I live 1000 miles away and can't help him with the repair. Any ballpark idea of what a shop will charge to diagnose and repair?

Tell him to check the sticky threads on the top of the EEC-IV section in the under the hood category for the procedure on how to read these codes. A shop might charge about $50-$100, and he could do it himself in a few minutes without any special tools. Check this link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114. This tool makes the job a lot easier: http://www.explorerforum.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=438. The price of it is $25, and it displays, and stores the code numbers so you don't have to stand by with a pen & paper.

Thanks. You've been a big help.

Back