My attempt at taking out swirls

Beastb15

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 EB
Doing this stuff by hand is BRUTAL

I had a LOT of swirls in my paint, so I have decided to correct the issue.

-Started off with Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
-Next is Meguiars ScratchX 2.0 Meguiars ScratchX 2.0. Rub on with applicator pad, take off with microfiber towel
-Next is Meguiars Smooth Surface Clar Bar Kit Spray surface with Meguiars Quik Detail, rub clay bar over entire surface. Wipe with microfiber towel
- Next is Meguiars Show Car Glaze. Apply with applicator pad, take off with microfiber towel
-Finally, Meguiars Direct NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Paste. Apply with the provided applicator pad, let dry, wipe off with microfiber towel.

I taped off half of my hood so that I could compare the results and it made a HUGE difference.

The pictures below are FRESH after being washed.

The left side clearly shows the swirls:

s1050178.jpg

The Right side is after the aforementioned treatment:

s1050179.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dam that looks good!!!! but i gotta say i love my silver mountaineer you can't see any swirls

Looks good!!!

I did a very similar process to my 92... I didn't use the scratch stuff, but I did the clay bar and the waxed. That Meguiars NXT 2.0 Paste, it's amazing stuff. This is how it looks now...

P9160050.jpg

nice the only problem is it only cover the swirls up .They will be visible just after a wash or two

A high speed polish with a light foam pad with some 3m polishing would take those out forever. Then to protect use your favorite wax

Im taking notes... My explorer is the first black vehicle Ive owned... and I hate swirl marks...

A high speed polish with a light foam pad with some 3m polishing would take those out forever. Then to protect use your favorite wax

I got a lend of a high speed polisher with a wool pad from a friend for mine a few weeks ago...I think I added more swirl marks.
Is there a trick to it? Cause I ended up with more wax flinging onto the wipers, windshield, mirrors, between the doors and on myself!
Maybe a foam pad is the way to go?

Foam is definitely the way to go. If you are using a rotary be very careful to always keep the pad moving as to not generate much heat. I burned the paint on a BMW 330ci rocker panel being careless once. Orbital go for it at any speed. Using either machine it takes a while, you may need multiple passes.

Doing this stuff by hand is BRUTAL

I had a LOT of swirls in my paint, so I have decided to correct the issue.

-Started off with Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
-Next is Meguiars ScratchX 2.0 Meguiars ScratchX 2.0. Rub on with applicator pad, take off with microfiber towel
-Next is Meguiars Smooth Surface Clar Bar Kit Spray surface with Meguiars Quik Detail, rub clay bar over entire surface. Wipe with microfiber towel
- Next is Meguiars Show Car Glaze. Apply with applicator pad, take off with microfiber towel
-Finally, Meguiars Direct NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Paste. Apply with the provided applicator pad, let dry, wipe off with microfiber towel.

OK, you did a good thing with a little out of order. The wash first, but then you should follow with the clay. You want to do this to remove the contaminants priors to using a cutting compound like the scratch remover. Then, the scratch remover is really not necassary, however if you want to be more tired more power to you. You need an orbital buffer with a foam pad, and go very very slowly over the entire car next. This will permanently remove the swirls. It takes a while, its a pita, but it works. After the buff with the orbital, you can apply the nxt (best retail available wax on the market in my opinion) I personally use 66 as my topcoat, as it is a multifunction product.

Curtis, don't use the high speed unless there is a specific reason. The wool pad will leave all the swirls in the world. Foam with knock the swirls out. The wool pad is for severely oxidized or scratched cars.....i refrain from using it in my detail bay unless absolutely needed.

Check out www.thedetailerscafe.com for excellent detailing advice

A good job with the clay bar makes all the difference in the world. Just make sure it stays clean.

I have a 03 black XLS with no swirl marks.If you wash,dry wax you vehicle with straight not circular movements you will not get swirl marks.You can get very fine straight lines though and they are barely noticeable.Washing the car properly will prevent most of the damage.I used Griots Garage car care handbook as a guide for my cars.Hate their wax.Zaino wax for my X and 08 Mustang GT/CS.Best products I have ever used.

Just finished the entire vehicle...

LOL Dude, I was looking at the picture... thinking you posted the wrong one as I was expecting a picture of the truck. Now I realize its the reflection :D
nice job!

LOL Dude, I was looking at the picture... thinking you posted the wrong one as I was expecting a picture of the truck. Now I realize its the reflection :D
nice job!

I had the same reaction. That is simply awesome!

Check out hte Meguiars forums too- the factory techs are on there all the time and have some killer advice and videos/processes too.

Back