My car makes a clicking sound that drives me insane. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My car makes a clicking sound that drives me insane.

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
So recently I've been noticing that when I don't have my radio cranked all the way up I get this odd ticking sound coming from either inside he steering column or the dashboard. It almost sounds like if you tap the metal end of a pen on a desk or something. The strange part is the sound come and goes. I only hear it about twice a week and its usually only when i hit bumps. It sounds like it could be something bouncing around in there but I can't think of anything in that area that would make that type of a sound. I sometimes think I can feel it moving when i hold my hand on the shifter but I may just be imagining that. I've kinda come to terms with that just being a normal noise for my truck but I'd like to fix it if its easy enough. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance, Rich

A likley candidate is the HVAC blend door actuator. These have cheap plastic gears that eventually strip, and the thing then continuously tries to reposition itself.

If you can make it come and go by fidling with the HVAC controls, then most likely it is a failed blend door actuator.

Back