My Explorer is immortal (knock on wood) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer is immortal (knock on wood)

Dignan

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0
I just passed 200,000 miles and Im still on the first transmission. Does this quailfy me for the guiness book of world records? I knew that I was lucky to turn the odometer over once with the A4LD, but to do it twice is unheard of. Has anyone else been this lucky?

And for those that wonder I do not go easy on it. I pull trailers, take it to moab and drive it like it was an Audi. :burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

204,658. and still gettin it. oem tranny and engine. live hard play hard and keep the fluids changed.

My 1993 X has 215,000 with the original 4ALD. The Engine is original too but it has an oil leak which I had to add a quart every 1000 miles. Water pump, Alternator is original. Thou I had to replace a radiator 2 years ago due to the engine overheated. I had serviced the 4ALD regularly and it still shifts fine.

94 EB 165,000 miles. origonal engine and tranny. the front seal on tranny leaks a tiny bit but does'nt every explorer? i dont tow and dont go off road. but i change every fluid yearly. (i still do oil every2,500 and raidator flush before every winter) i a using redline full synthetic in the front and rear diffs and redline in tranny as well. 8.99$ a quart but the stuff is tough as nails.

My A4LD failed at 212,000. It was maintained, used to tow, wheel and covered the country twice.

iv got 240 000k out of my 91xlt auto tranny so far and still no signs of failure yet , although i change the fluids in it like every month :burnout:

276k on the original A4ld. Knock on wood seriously.

I just passed 200,000 miles and Im still on the first transmission. Does this quailfy me for the guiness book of world records?

Thats not really a big deal. If you do the service requirements when they need to be done there is no reason why any explorer should not last that long. My wifes 92 explorer just rolled over 280,000 on original engine and tranny, and is still as reliable as it was the day we bought it brand new.

I didnt make it to my current mileage (320,000) but the orginal engine made it to 319,000 before i changed it due to oil use. I got bad and started to burn a quart or two a month.

Lol, well....I'm at 176 i believe. (possibly 276 but almost positive its 176,000). and I've been through 4 trannys lol. Getting it checked up on next week. I'm really starting to care hardcore for the tranny.

I'm at 233,000 in my 96 AWD with the original tranny. Transfer case is acting up though, and my radiator just went.

Not sure if I'm going to continue to keep up the repairs. Needs a radiator, swaybar, cv joints, and I know something's not right with the tie rods.

As much as I love the explorer, it might not be worth dropping another grand or two into her at this point.

Maybe one of you can convince me otherwise? :(

Thats not really a big deal. If you do the service requirements when they need to be done there is no reason why any explorer should not last that long. My wifes 92 explorer just rolled over 280,000 on original engine and tranny, and is still as reliable as it was the day we bought it brand new.

Not entirely true my friend. I babied my 92 and it gave me not a wink of a problem...until I was sideswiped by a Ram.
My 97, on the other hand, has been more babied and I am on tranny #2, transfercase #2, rear end #3 and fuel tank (yes...fuel tank- internal baffle separated and broke into 2 pieces along the molding line)#2 and I'm only at 170K. I wish my 92 was still around. :(

Back