Carbon Knock

socky3850

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Has anyone heard of this? My Ex has 120K on the odometer and I recently started to get a rattling/knocking noise that sounds as if it's coming from the passenger side of the engine. I bought this truck new and have maintained it very well. I've taken it in twice to Ford for this issue and they say that it sounds like a carbon knock. I was worried that one of the casettes, either front or rear, was about to go and I was going to blow this engine. The engine runs very well and with the exception of this noise, is very quiet. It's also had every recall fix performed. I have to admit that this noise does not sound like the rattle caused by a defective casette. Regardless of what Ford says, this still has me worried and I may dump the truck.

try some seafoam or amsoil power foam ive heard this has cured it somewhat on some vehicles worth a shot and not too expensive any auto parts store should hav ethe parts

I had this happen to my wifes 2000 Mustang. So I took it to the Ford dealer and had them use a intake and combustion chamber flush that they perform while you are there. What they do is disconnect your fuel supply line to the fuel rail and insert a bottle attached to a hose to your fuel rail and your X will run on that can until empty. It loosens the carbon in the chambers and intake and injectors and then sends them out the engine. What you should do after this is take the X out on an empty road and stop. Put the X in 2nd gear and hit the accellerator hard and come to a stop before it shifts on its own. Then do this in drive just the same way without the overdrive on. When you do this you should be able to look into your rearview mirror and see black smoke exiting your tail pipe. This is good. It is forcing alot of the carbon out of your engine. It works very good. Doing this last step is a critical to get that loosened carbon out with force. I have no more clatter due to carbon.

it is not carbon knock you are hearing it is your timing chain rattling around the sohc has a knock sensor so it should not be knocking. these were known to be problamatic areas in the early sohc

Back