My Explorer smells like fuel inside | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer smells like fuel inside

gregorycooper43

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
Hi,
I am a new guy around here looking for a little input. I have a 2000 Explorer, 5.0, AWD. It runs excellent, but the last few days I have noticed a fuel smell inside, it's not there all the time, but often enough to make me concerned, plus the fuel mileage seems to be suffering. Today while I was driving my son to work, it quit running on the highway, then started back up, then quit again. I managed to get it started after about 30 minutes and it ran perfect, I'm not sure if the two are related, but it sure seems that way. It does not smell like gas while driving, just after it's parked for a little, and a leak is no where to be found that I can see. This is my 3rd Explorer, and I have never had this problem before, so I'm in the dark. If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you.

Hi,
I am a new guy around here looking for a little input. I have a 2000 Explorer, 5.0, AWD. It runs excellent, but the last few days I have noticed a fuel smell inside, it's not there all the time, but often enough to make me concerned, plus the fuel mileage seems to be suffering. Today while I was driving my son to work, it quit running on the highway, then started back up, then quit again. I managed to get it started after about 30 minutes and it ran perfect, I'm not sure if the two are related, but it sure seems that way. It does not smell like gas while driving, just after it's parked for a little, and a leak is no where to be found that I can see. This is my 3rd Explorer, and I have never had this problem before, so I'm in the dark. If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you.

Did you figure out this issue? I have the same problem in my 98.

It ended up being a faulty vacuum can under where the spare tire is. It wasn't leaking fuel, I was smelling the vapor from it. I also replaced a line to it that looked questionable as well, just to be sure.

Back