My front hubs are not working. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My front hubs are not working.

jaybird76

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer
Howdy all. I hail from Crescent OR. I just got my first explorer, it's a 92 with a true 64k, and in premium condition. Bought it from the previous owner for $100.00, he was in money trouble and thought it had a blown head gasket. It just needed a thermostat. My problem, and hence my question............front hubs are not working. Trans & diff are ok, and axels are turning. I have carefully cleaned and inspected the hubs and found no damaged or worn out parts, re-assembled with a light coat of oil, re-installed, still no go! I hope someone can help befor I go crazy!!! It's mushroom season and I gotta get out there and find some morrells:thumbsup: Thanks, Jaybird

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The failure of te Explore Auto Hub is infamous.
Do you hear clicking while driving? Even in 2Wd if you turn left, many time you will hear the Hubs clicking. Sometime sporadic, sometimes like 'The Wheel of Fortune'.
Replacing the Expensive Auto hubs with the cheaper yet much more relaible Manual hubs is the answer. No Heavy Modifications necessary... Take off the Spindle Nut , replace with another type of nut, slide on the Manual hubs and you are done.
There is a lot of plastic crap that warps if it doesn't break in the Auto Hubs. INvest the $200 and go Manual if you want reliability

Here is a How To http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/howto_hubswap.htm

Are all the parts present? The plastic keyed, teathed part? Nothing broken inside the hub? They should work then. If you don't mind me asking how do you know they aren't working?

Back