• Register Today It's free!

MY GREAT MPG

xplorgee

Reaction score
City, State
Lenexa, Ks.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Its messed up. I had purchased my x just a few weeks ago. Its a 99 XLT v-t SOHC. It was getting a average mpg of 14 in the city. I recently got a oilchange and then put some fuel cleaner in gas. I also put RESTORE from Advanced Auto that costs 6 bucks. A week later I was getting 18 mpg city by driving more agressive(PARKING AT COLLEGE, YOU HAVE TO BE), Is this possible,and has anbody used RESTORE on their vehicles and liked it. I have used it in all my cars of 40k and more and have liked it. ANYBODY, ANYBODY.

=)

Maybe you were just babying it too much when you were only getting 14 MPG. My Dad claims that accelerating at 40-50% throttle up to the desired speed and them letting off is the most efficient way. I used to totally baby the throttle but he claims I was using more fuel doing that. (I also did notice a change in gas milage). I doubt restore is what did the change in milage. There are so many factors...A/C...type of driving, type of gas, synthetic or petrolium oil, etc...
i get about 20 -21 MPG running mid or high grade amoco and I have all synthetic fliuds, run my tires at 35psi, and all the mods I have listed below. It great knowing my SUV gets better gas milage then some large sadans :)

You will find that you get poorer fuel mileage using higher octane fuel than if you use lower octane in a engine that dosn't require high octane. The reason for this is, the higher octane fuel burns slower and needs higher compression to fully utlilze the properties of it.

When you use high(91+ octane) fuel in your explorer with stock long block you will notice a drop of approx 1 mpg compared to using 87 octane..

Really?! I used to run 87 ocatne Clark gas and now I use either 89 or 93 octane Amoco. The only reason I like to use 93 oftane is the premium grade at each station is actually made by that station's company. The 89 and 87 are just bougth from the same place as all the other stations use in the area so going to a clark and getting 87 and going to an amoco and getting 87 it is actually most likely the same gas from same refinery. I have tried running tanks of 93 and tanks of 87, but I feel that the 93 lasts longer. I guess every vehcile differers. Maybe it's all the mods I did that help utilize the 93 better?

Back