My headlights are too bright? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My headlights are too bright?

I was just wondering.....I was going down the highway tonight and I swear like 6 people flashed me thought I had my brights on.....when I didn't....I have the Sylvania Silverstars.....the only adjustments I did to them was lower the drivers side cause when I installed them I noticed it was bit higher than the other...well I don't want someone to wreck cause they can't see but I also don't want to lose my viewing distance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i always just flash them back! one time it was a cop too, she turned around and pulled me over, but didn't write me a ticket, cause she had done the same thing i had.

haha, good idea....i dont need any tickets right now.....i thought about doing that......but after i had that brainstorm no one flashed me after

Everybody gets flashed once in awhile cause our lights are higher than many cars. However if it happens all the time that should indicate that you need to do some adjusting. I too like a lot of light but not at the expence of someone elses vision. Coutresy. We need more courtesy on the roads.

I have Silverstars and I just installed some PIAA 510 driving lights last night, and I went out on a test run to make sure everything was aimed right. I got flashed by 10 cars in a row. :p

This has been happening like everyday since I put regular bulbs back in. I went from Alpine Frost off road lights ,85/100 watt, to stock wattage blue bulbs and everyone is highbeaming me. Almost everytime I pass someone(6-10 times daily) they turn on their highs and tailgate me. I have adjusted my headlights so much I can hardly see. they are still doing it. I've had to chase 2 people already road rage style. :mad: i'm going back to the illegal bulbs and adjusting them like a jerk.

Have you made sure they are aimed properly?

Yep, they are 4 inches lower and to the right then the manual says to adjust them.

so people make a point to turn around and follow you just cause youve got bright lights? some people have too much time on their hands. oh, and on that same theme, some retard stopped in the middle of johnson ferry (our main roads, cars do 60 on it, its 3 lanes) because i cut him off. and in my defense, the only reason he got cut off is cause he did somthing illegal and shoudlnt have even been behind me in the first place. the road changes from 2 to 3 lanes, and there is a sold white line for like 100 yards. i changed lanes as soon as the line ended, and apparently cut him off...i was doing 60btw. so he f*in stops in the middle of the f*in road!!!! sorry, still kinda pissed about that one...

i wish explorer headlights were too bright, but sadly, they really arent bright enough

If you wan't bright lights, just get illegal bulbs and run high/low beam at the same time:)

I replaced my corner lights and the turning light above the headlight ('95 w/ clear coners & xenon headlight bulbs) with clear bulbs. Now whenever i'm at a stop light waiting to turn they not only have my headlights shining on them, but whenever the blinker goes they get another bright light (it IS bright). The new corner light was also surprisingly BRIGHT when I installed it.

I kept the side turning light orange so that i'm still legal, but I think it would look much better if everything was clear....

kinda off subject...
Anyone know where to get the xenon type fog bulbs? All the ricer shops around here dont carry the "domestic" fog light bulbs or some bs like that.

I have had Xenon bulbs (blue kind) in my truck for a couple years now, and the other day, I switched em back to the stock ones. What a world of difference. The stockers light up the road a lot better than the xenons. If the roads were wet with the blue ones, you can forget about seeing anything. My advice, if you want to upgrade, get the silverstar ones, they seem to be the best. Dont get the 'blue' ones...

i had my huge million candlepower flashlight rigged to the inside of the rear window so i could see backing up. i left it switched on and unplugged it from the power when driving off. some nice person decided to tailgate me and they slammed on the brakes quick when i plugged in the light for the rear again. heh heh. that should fix your tailgater problem... unless it's a cop! :eek:

i have silverstars also and i too get people flashing me all the time. Ususally i just flash em back to show em that i do, in fact, have my low beams on. This usually leaves them in awe and wondering why they arent cool enough to have bright white lights like me :)

i love the silverstars and would reccomend them to anyone

well i found it is in fact more easier to just ride with your brights on til someone flashes you, that way they KNOW you have your brights on...but i guess if THEY(the other person) were bright enough (no pun intended) they would know that most brights wont run with the fogs.....so the easiest way to show them your brights are off is to just flash them with your fogs

I have the PIAA platium bulbs in my 94. They are aimed correctly & I can't see well at all. I use my highs most of the time. I might just be spolied cause my Acura has HID lights & I'm used to those. Anyway I just ignor the poeple who flash. My sight is more important driving then to worry about "if" my lights are too bright.

Jus throw some HIDs onto your Xplorer.. that'll get some attention!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My sight is more important driving then to worry about "if" my lights are too bright.
Yeah, who cares if your high beams make it so oncoming traffic can't see.:rolleyes:

Back