My latest project: 1970 Dodge Dart 512 C.I. Bracket Racer | Page 54 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My latest project: 1970 Dodge Dart 512 C.I. Bracket Racer

Some of you may remember that I used to have a 1972 Dodge Dart which I drag raced.

DSC_0322.jpg

Well, I got the itch to get back into racing:burnout: Our new house is only 3 miles from the Speedworld racetrack and I can faintly hear them running the cars from our house. It was just too much for me to bare;) I haven't been doing much in the way of local fourwheeling, so I thought drag racing would give me something to do on the weekends.

A couple weeks ago I bought a 1970 Dodge Dart off of E-bay. The car was located in New Jersey, a mere 2500 miles from home:eek: I decided this was the right car for me mainly because I really needed to get out of the house on my own for a couple weeks and this was just the excuse I needed;)

The car is going to be stripped and repainted. It will get new quarter panels, at least one rocker, one floorpan, new door hinges, fiberglass hood, bumpers, and most likely trunk lid as well.

The new color will most likely be orange, but it just may end up being red, like my old one. Plans for it include a 650HP, 512 CI, big block Mopar and an automatic transmission. I'm just not sure if it will be from BB or SB or whether or not it will even be a Mopar:eek: I plan on ditching the torsion bar front suspension for an aftermarket K member which gives you rack and pinion steering, upgraded brakes, and the choice of coilover shocks or airbag suspension.

The rear end in the car right now is a trussed Mopar 8 3/4", with a three link suspension and coilovers.

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0403.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

DSC_0407.jpg

DSC_0411.jpg

DSC_0412.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just found this shot on our dragstrip's website from the Nostalgia Drags a couple months ago:thumbsup:
ShowNGo148.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks Brian:chug: It would be great if you could come out and see it run some time. We've got an RV spot just for you! ;)

Thanks Brian:chug: It would be great if you could come out and see it run some time. We've got an RV spot just for you! ;)

That is something I would love to do before the end of the year.

Rick, is there ever a time when you can have a passenger when you go down the track? :D

You can't run faster than 14.00 to take a passenger. I'm not sure if they'll let me take a passenger and just back out of it. I have a feeling the answer is no, but I've got to find out since Char would really like to feel how hard the car launches:burnout:

Ran a new personal best ET and MPH tonight. 10.39 at 129 mph :burnout:

Added one of these "stubstacks".

knn-85-0600_w.jpg

Just adding the stubstack made the engine run too lean, so I upped the jets and that's when I got the new best times. In other words the stubstack worked, it let more air into the motor, which in turn needed more fuel to burn efficiently, there by making a bit more power.

Congrats on the new best, man that is fast, I can only dream my Nova will be that fast one day. Keep it up, or should I say keep it low, like your quater mile time!

Added a new toy, a crank driven vacuum pump. The vacuum pump draws out blow by gasses from the crankcase and helps the rings seal better, which in turn makes more power. It's supposed to be good for about 30hp over the exhaust evacuation I was running before.

Started the motor today and seems to be a bit crisper and more responsive. Taking it out to the track this weekend to give it a try. Saturday night is the Nostalgia Drags:chug::burnout:
vacuum_pump1.jpg

vacuum_pump2.jpg

mandrel.jpg

vacuum_mount2.jpg

Wouldn't an electric vacuum pump be more efficient since it isn't connected to the engine? What's the Hg rating of this pump?

Electric's only pull about 5". This will pull up to 18", but since I'm running a wet sump system it needs to be regulated down to 12". Too much vacuum and the wrist pins can go dry:nono:

Even though this is engine driven, it's a net gain in power. As you can see the pump is geared to turn rather slowly. About 1/3 crank speed.

So I guess it's similar to an A/C compressor run in reverse? What's the brass flare fitting for on the side (air inlet)? If it's an inlet, wouldn't it need a breather element style filter? How do you regulate it to maintain 12 In Hg? Is there a way to use as an onboard air system to refill tires or fill air shocks?

Not sure what you mean since there is no brass in the system. It draws blow by out of the valve cover (not seen), runs through the regulator which is red and black, into the pump, then exhausts it out the other side and into a catch tank with a filter element on top to vent it. There is no air intake into the block.

The pump uses metal vanes.

Rick, I always install the front and rear seal backwards when I build a motor for someone using vacuum. The darn things will pull air (and dirt, etc) right through the seal otherwise. You might want to research that and see if you feel it's necessary. (I do) Especially with as much vacuum as you are pulling. Of course, if you already did that, then ignore this! :)

I'm aware of that. The IndyMaxx block uses seals made for vacuum pumps since it's a race block. Thanks for the warning though.

Pics from last weekends Nostalgia Drags:
night_burnout_sml.jpg

night_burnout2_sml.jpg

night_launch_sml.jpg

night_launch2_sml.jpg

Rick, that thing is beautiful. Great job. One of my best friends is way into darts. He said he has seen yours at Speedworld several times. He said its better in person and that you really did a great job on it.
Hope all is well, we should get together soon.

Went to the track last night. First time out with the 4.11 gears. Temp was about 90 deg, but it still a ran a best of 10.36 @ 128.6. Only made two passes since a big dust storm rolled in seconds before my third run. I was all lined up and ready to go when visibility dropped and crosswinds became VERY strong. Glad I wasn't on the track when it hit!

Fun with the new 10.5mm fisheye
fisheye_engine.jpg

That is an incredible picture & motor! :eek:

Back