My Lights are Too Bright!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Lights are Too Bright!!!

ever since i put my diamond headlights in i get flashed all the time and the finger thrown at me from people i'm behind who think my highs are on. i had silverstars in and i took them out about a month ago and sold them because they were rediculously bright. but even with stock lights i still get flashed. they are alighned and aimed correctly by the way. is there a light out there that isn't that bright. i heard that some of those blue lights look good but don't give off much light which is actually good for my situation. anyone confirm this or have any thoughts? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the exact same problem with my diamond clears, I have silverstars in mine also. I usually just flash them back when they flash me.

That's an odd problem if they are aimed properly and such... Maybe try aiming them a tad lower, or if you want a little less bright lights and more blue you could try any of the common brands like at pep boys, apc, or euro dezigns etc.
But if you got flashed with stock lights then ppl by you are retarded or something?
That's when you hook up 4- 100watt off-road lights and "flash" them back for being stupid.. ;)

I too have the diamond headlights in my 99 and I run SilverStars; I have never been flashed for having too bright lights.

I have diamond cuts with a HID bulb conversion on my 1998 and haven't been flashed yet. I aimed them a tad lower because of this concern.

You are probably getting flashed by other drivers because the aftermarket diamond cut replacement headlights are poorly designed, both in lens and reflector. As such, they have a poor lighting pattern, and are puting a LOT of light right into the eyes of the drivers of oncoming cars. It looks great to the driver of the vehicle with the diamond-cut lamps, though, because the light is going everywhere and really lights up the road and everything. Most of these aftermarket "diamond-cut reflector" lights made in Taiwan, China, India, etc. are cosmetic parts for show use, and aren't a lighting "upgrade" of any sort.

Having a lifted ride, having a load in the rear of the vehicle, or just having badly aimed headlamps can also cause more glare, but most Ford vehicles, along with Pickups and SUVs in general, have their headlamps glare just due to the height difference between them and lower ride height vehicles such as cars, and most drivers are used to it by now. The cheap replacement lights do make the glare even worse, though.

I may be getting flashed cause Im lifted and my lights are just in their eyes, and with the diamond headlights they are just that much brighter.

then adjust them down a little bit

Im not that worried about it, its just a flash. No one has tried to run me off the road.......... yet.

I used to get flashed in the Explorer all of the time. Like every single day. After several road rage incidents, including a few chases. I kept on adjusting the lights to the right, and down. Still kept happening. The only thing I could do to stop it was to get rid of the white bulbs for ones with the bluish tint. I don't really care for them, but I figured sooner or later I was going to have to get into a rock-em sock-em match with the truck, or hit someone with a bat. No one ever flashes me in the Mounty. I've neevr really checked the alignment, but if people aren't flashing, and I can see, why bother. :)

i'm gonna try to lower the heads a little and maybe throw in some bluish bulbs. hopefully that will do it. and yes, when i get flashed i just flash back and really blast them and let them know that my highs were not on. but i hate when the people in front of me get pissed because they think i have my highs on. i don't tailgate or anything and they still get pissed.

The headlight aiming procedure may not work the same for the new lights. Just keep turning them down untill you dont get flashed. The type of bulbs shouldnt make any difference.
Sounds like yours are just aimed too high.

Bill Kemp said:
The headlight aiming procedure may not work the same for the new lights. Just keep turning them down untill you dont get flashed. The type of bulbs shouldnt make any difference.
Sounds like yours are just aimed too high.
that's exactly what i'm gonna do.

I keep hearing others having this problem. I have never had the problem with mine (diamond cuts with SilverStars). The only time I piss off others is when I have my fogs on while on the highway. I had the same problem before either the Diamond Cuts or the Silverstars.

Must be a focus issue, or a hypersensitive driving public where you come from. ;)

i heard that some of those blue lights look good but don't give off much light which is actually good for my situation. anyone confirm this or have any thoughts? thanks.

I think it matters if you drive city or rural. In the city the really bright lights are more of a pain than a need. In the country, on the other hand, the better the lights the longer you live - with deer, curves, or what have you coming your way on rural roads, great lights are more than a mere accessory - they are a necessity.

With that thought in mind, I actually bought a couple sets of those "hyper blue" lights - and while they are great in city traffic, they are not what I wanted or expected for rural roads.

If you want a couple sets to play with, I'll send you two pair - one brand new the other used for about 30 days - for $15 + shipping to wherever you are. Just let me know.

15014100_0868.jpg

ive never gotten flashed... weird thing is that from 20' (guestamate) away the lights look to be aiming streight ahead... but from like 50 feet away it seemes to be more focused in the center as one big bright light (maybe its because thats where the 2 lights cross?)... well im going to tinker with mine to see if thats what it is...

If you put in "blue" lights, you are just causing more glare to oncoming traffic. Although the blue filter filters out some light, it also lets lights that is more glaring (the blue end of the spectrum) through. The blue end of the spectrum is more offensive to oncoming drivers than the warmer end of the spectrum. Put clear regular bulbs in there to help with the negative glare.

eurodezigns doesnt give off blue light (in the diamond cuts)... its more white if anything... but with the old headlight housing it gave off a hit of blue with the Eurodezigns ...

The blue coating on the bulb reduces the lumen output of the bulb. After the blue lights I never got flashed, and with the whites it was every single day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Saleen_SR71 said:
eurodezigns doesnt give off blue light (in the diamond cuts)... its more white if anything... but with the old headlight housing it gave off a hit of blue with the Eurodezigns ...

I guarantee that if you get a few hundred feet back from your headlights and have them compared to a regular set of headlights that they will have a bluish tint to them overall (simulate coming down the road facing these lights). They look white from up close, but much further back they will be bluish.

Back