My list of Explorer - "How to" videos | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My list of Explorer - "How to" videos

Im running out of video ideas. Let me know what you guys want to see!

Thinking about pulling the front diff or axle to do a differential cover change. Mines pretty rusty and it leaks. Cant have that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

vid request

Hello, very nice video, thanks!

Since you were asking, I'd like to see a front brake job. I think I can do it, but I am little bit confused about how the caliper pin works. The rear brake caliper pins seem to be normal length. They come out (top and bottom), and I can see and lube the sliding surface. On the front, the pins are half the length and have a smaller threaded stud at the end. Maybe if I disassembled the caliper, took the pads out, it might be clear. Previously, I was just trying to lube pins by taking each one out, lubing it, and replacing it. At that time, the pad thickness was fine. Now, I will likely be replacing the pads and rotors.

Thanks again!!!

Since you were asking, I'd like to see a front brake job. I think I can do it, but I am little bit confused about how the caliper pin works. The rear brake caliper pins seem to be normal length. They come out (top and bottom), and I can see and lube the sliding surface. On the front, the pins are half the length and have a smaller threaded stud at the end. Maybe if I disassembled the caliper, took the pads out, it might be clear. Previously, I was just trying to lube pins by taking each one out, lubing it, and replacing it. At that time, the pad thickness was fine. Now, I will likely be replacing the pads and rotors.

Thanks again!!!

Im making the brake video right now. Its too long so im debating if I should chop it down or split it into 2 parts.

Update: 4 Videos added.

Thanks again!!!

Brakes how to is up, check it out.

If you want a hand ive done quite a few brake jobs. Just drop me a PM.

Wow, someone gave this thread a 1 star rating.... that sucks.... Guess ill have to try harder.

amazing post! wow!!!

JLSparky,
I am looking into doing a transmission flush because I have a gallon of RedLine Full Syn in my garage. I bought it a while back but never got around to flushing.

I can just drain the transmission completely with the truck running and refill it after I turn it off? This wont damage anything with the tranny running dry?

Also- I have 110k miles and the transmission filter has never been replaced. Does this need to be replaced or will general flushes work fine? Ive had a shop flush it at 60k but I want syn fluids in it. Let me know.

JLSparky,
I am looking into doing a transmission flush because I have a gallon of RedLine Full Syn in my garage. I bought it a while back but never got around to flushing.

I can just drain the transmission completely with the truck running and refill it after I turn it off? This wont damage anything with the tranny running dry?

Also- I have 110k miles and the transmission filter has never been replaced. Does this need to be replaced or will general flushes work fine? Ive had a shop flush it at 60k but I want syn fluids in it. Let me know.

I have a good buddy that worked as a transmission mechanic for a ford dealership for quite a few years (he works at toyota now, go figure but beside the point). He said the only reason to change the trans filter is if there is a contamination.

That being said it is impossible to drain ALL of the transmission fluid without a special machine that circulates the fluid. The torque converter is always a little less that 1/2 full. First warm up the truck, take it for a short drive and the transmission will be coated with fluid. Pop one of the trans cooler lines off and drain it into a pan with the truck running then hook the line back up. Take a guess at how much came out then add that much to the transmission dip stick hole. Remember when you check the transmission fluid level the vehicle has to be running if its an automatic.

However if you wanna drop the trans pan it will drain a bit more fluid than taking off a trans line. If you ask me it couldnt hurt to swap the filter. If you do drop the pan just buy the filter and use black RTV instead of a gasket. It will last A LOT longer and seal better.

Hm very interesting! Im curious to see if I can get a shop to use my fluid instead of the stuff they pump. How much fluid do these trannys usually take? I might have to add extra because I have an oil filter on mine plus 2 tranny coolers (stock and aftermarket I installed)

I have a good buddy that worked as a transmission mechanic for a ford dealership for quite a few years (he works at toyota now, go figure but beside the point). He said the only reason to change the trans filter is if there is a contamination.

That being said it is impossible to drain ALL of the transmission fluid without a special machine that circulates the fluid. The torque converter is always a little less that 1/2 full. First warm up the truck, take it for a short drive and the transmission will be coated with fluid. Pop one of the trans cooler lines off and drain it into a pan with the truck running then hook the line back up. Take a guess at how much came out then add that much to the transmission dip stick hole. Remember when you check the transmission fluid level the vehicle has to be running if its an automatic.

However if you wanna drop the trans pan it will drain a bit more fluid than taking off a trans line. If you ask me it couldnt hurt to swap the filter. If you do drop the pan just buy the filter and use black RTV instead of a gasket. It will last A LOT longer and seal better.

Hm very interesting! Im curious to see if I can get a shop to use my fluid instead of the stuff they pump. How much fluid do these trannys usually take? I might have to add extra because I have an oil filter on mine plus 2 tranny coolers (stock and aftermarket I installed)

They actually take something like 12 or 14 quarts. The most I can get out using the trans cooler line flush method is like 5-6 quarts.

Dropping the pan is prolly your better bet.

They actually take something like 12 or 14 quarts. The most I can get out using the trans cooler line flush method is like 5-6 quarts.

Dropping the pan is prolly your better bet.

Alright, this should be fun. I heard this can get messy lol. I appreciate all your help!

Im just browsing around finding ways to take better care of my Explorer to keep it around for awhile. this website is great with how-to stuff. makes me a lil more confident when it comes to doing stuff myself.

Alright, this should be fun. I heard this can get messy lol. I appreciate all your help!

It is very messy. If you have some old cardboard boxes laying around then lay them out under your workspace. Itll save your driveway/garage a few stains.

Im just browsing around finding ways to take better care of my Explorer to keep it around for awhile. this website is great with how-to stuff. makes me a lil more confident when it comes to doing stuff myself.

Welcome! Im glad your finding some how-tos. Some of the ones in this thread were already talked about in this forum. I just decided to do a video write up of it to explain it a little better.

Awesome post! There are tons of helpful how-to threads on this forum already, but videos are even better! I'll definitely be referencing this in the future. Thanks for the contribution.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome post! There are tons of helpful how-to threads on this forum already, but videos are even better! I'll definitely be referencing this in the future. Thanks for the contribution.

You are very welcome. Lots more to come! Not looking forward to running all new brake lines but itll be an experience.

Back