• Register Today It's free!

My new system

Holty

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer XLT AWD V8
I will be buying/installing my new system here in a couple of weeks. I'm still trying to decide the exact setup I want to do. Basically, I need some opinions on what I should do. Money is an issue, but so is sound quality.

Head Unit:

Alpine CDA-7894
$320 shipped.

Amp:

Kicker ZX460 4 channel
Free, i already own it.

Speakers:(here is where I need help)

FRONT: JL Audio XR570-CS
Dead Link Removed

REAR: JL Audio XR570-CX
Dead Link Removed

OR

FRONT & REAR: JL Audio XR570-CX
Dead Link Removed

OR

FRONT & REAR: MB Quart DKD-157
Dead Link Removed

OR

FRONT & REAR: Pioneer TS-A6897 (the ones that everyone on here has and likes?)
Dead Link Removed

Please help me decide...this is driving me crazy! thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My vote is for the Pioneer TS-6867. They are truely awsome!!

I think I would definately go with the MB Quarts over the Pioneers. I have never heard JL highs so I don't know about them. My buddy had a all MB's for his highs and they absolutely screamed. I don't recall what model they were but they were one of their lower end and they were very crisp and loud.

thanks for the help.....does anybody else wanna include their opinion? anybody have experiece with the JL's? thanks.

a buddy of mine w/ an f-350 has the jl components and they are nice...never heard mb's, but the jl's are loud as hell

i am pretty sure that they are the vr series and they are powered by an alpine head unit.

does anybody else have any experience with JL audio's mids & highs? whether in an explorer or not?

well, i've finally decided to go with the JL Audio XR650-CS components in front.
Dead Link Removed
I got them off ebay for $239 shipped to my door. I don't think that's too bad because my local dealer wanted $350 plus tax.

Now, my question is...should I stay with the same brand of speakers for the rear, or can I go with a different brand? I was thinking something cheaper like a mid grade Rockford 6.5 2-way or maybe just a plain mid bass speaker with no highs? what should I do?

I plan on running my Kicker ZX-460 4channel amp to all my speakers. I know the front components will want more gain/power than my rears. How should I wire them up?

Also, is the use of Dynamat really worth the expense? If so, how much to do all 4 doors?

thanks guys!

please help! anybody?

will it mess up my staging if I use a mid bass only in the rear door? or do i have to use a 2-way?

If I were you I'd either run a coaxial or run additional tweets. But thats just me:D Having the tweeters above the door will raise the soundstage. I wasn't happy with my 4 Fosgate coaxials. I just added 6 tweeters and that really helped.

If i were you, i woud have gone with the MBs or thrown down on some focal or Bostons. They are tight. JL makes good woofers and amps, but i don't prefer their mids and highs. As far as teh rear, i would put some three ways in the back, like some 5x7s or sumthin. I have Infinity Kappa 572.3s in all doors and am about to put some more tweets on the corners of the windshield....don't get me wrong...there is prolly enought highs in there already, i jsut wanna raise the bar a little bit...

Thank you for your input.....I do agree, I have used MB Quart in the past and was happy with there speakers, but these JL's are new for this year, and I wanted to try them out. Otherwise, I probably would have went with either Focal or Boston. I still have a set of MB Quart reference 6.5 mid's if anyone is interested in buying them. I also have MB Quart 4" reference 2-ways. I can get pics if you need them.

if you have the money, there isn't much out there that can beat focals when it comes to mids and highs.... i went to the Texas Heatwave Custom Truck and Car show and i sat in the Focal BMW M3, and i thought my ears were gunna bust, they whooped the MB car and the JL, well the JL was more bass....

unfortuneatly i already purchased the JL's before I ever even heard of focals. I'm not new to car audio, but havn't been keeping up on all the new equipment for the last 5 years or so. I just want a good sounding system, not competition level. The reason I went with the JL's is because I heard they really are good for the price. I picked mine up off ebay for $239 shipped. I thinkk that's pretty good?

Back