My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Originally posted by aldive
I have one of the single program chips. It requires 93 gas but Brian did some mileage enhancements on it.

Al,

Did the Apten economy program pick up enough mileage gains to justify the extra cost of Premium fuel on a per mile basis? I live in GA where gas is pretty cheap and it's generally a 20 cent premium for 93 octane. At current fuel prices, I'd have to pick up about 13% fuel economy to justify the Premium fuel.

I have a dual program chip in my '97 XLT 2WD and get slightly better mileage with the 93 performance program (about 5%), but not enough to justify the extra money for that reason alone. I do like the way the X drives using teh 93 octane and the performance program, but I have a bit heavier foot than you.

On using synthetic fluids, I can justify the cost of Syn motor oil with mileage gains alone. The extra protection and added life is the real reason I run Syn, but the mileage gains alone justify the $30 I spend in materials for each oil change.

Good thread, I've been following it off and on for a long time.

-twylie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by treywylie
Al, Did the Apten economy program pick up enough mileage gains to justify the extra cost of Premium fuel on a per mile basis?

Probably not on a strick dollar basis, however, when I can have a very quick SUV that gets around 30 MPG, I am a happy camper.

(because we all know driving it like you stole it would mean 5 under the speed limit and using your blinkers :D )

-Matt [/B]

lmao :D

Al, when it's time for a new muffler, check this one out:
Aero-Turbine Muffler
They're supposed to give an MPG boost.

Al,

What method did you use to drain and flush your transmission and torque converter. Just ordered a chip today, but am also looking at some other things you have done, including synthetics.

Harold
99 Mountaineer AWD

hsinc

I just drained my tranny, and flushed.

I took off the pan. (buy the gasket from ford, its thicker and has pinch protectors around the holes)
Since I was under there I replaced the filter.
After I reinstalled the pan (please clean the pan up shinny) I added the same amount of atf (merc V) that came out with the pan drop, it was about 4.5 qrts then i took it to my pal at the ford dealership, after hours, and he flushed 16 qrts through the tranny

- with my 99 you should remove exaust pipe from drivers side
- Not shure if the 5R55e auto in my 99 is synth friendly, so I went with the Mercon V that your owners manual says to put in
- oooo dont forget, since your down there, drain and refill your transfer case with the reg mercon atf

dont know if this will help you with your first gen x. :eek:

Originally posted by hsinc
Al,

What method did you use to drain and flush your transmission and torque converter. Just ordered a chip today, but am also looking at some other things you have done, including synthetics.

I disconnected the “to transmission” hose from my remote filter housing. I plugged and clamped the disconnected line and added and hose clamped a 6 ft length of 3/8” line to the housing. The other end went into a calibrated water jug ( 1 gal size ).

We used 15 quarts of Amsoil ATF.

Even though this ( old ) ATF ( Mobil 1 ) has about 40 k miles on it, it still looked like new.

After the flush/fill was completed, I added a new K & N filter to the housing and reattached the hoses.

The procedure took my son and I about 15 minutes to complete. There was no mess; nary a drop was spilled.

I thought I would try to give my truck a good cleaning with Sea Foam.

I used the product via the brake booster vacuum line as well as a full can in the tank today. Damn thing smoked for about 5 miles, wow.

We shall see what happens now....

T
Many coats of Zaino polish

3 coats = 1mpg..... ;)

i just surprised myself...i'm an 18 year old male driving a lifted 95 X with 170k miles and original everything (knock on wood) with mudders, a clogged K&N and a bad alignment, i i just drove from saratoga springs, NY to my house and i got 25 MPG, im pretty excited:D. My second best is 18

Yesterday I installed my new Power Slot ( http://www.powerslot.com/ ) front rotors. The install was a simple 30-minute job and went smoothly.

I decided since I was using new rotors and pads, might as well use new wheel hearings also.

In my never-ending quest for better mileage, I decided to use Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease (http://www.amsoil.com/products/grg.html )

I put the rotors through the recommended initial break in procedure of a series of stops from various speeds. Initial impression is that the brakes feel very strong and precise.

My son and I are heading to Ft Lauderdale today on business and we shall see what happens with the mileage on this 400-mile voyage.

Attachments

• grease.jpg
    grease.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,328

Back from Ft Laudderdale ( 427 mile trip ). Average speed 79.8 MPH. Mileage 22.8 MPH.

Speed kills...... my son did all the driving in his youthful ( read - wasteful style ); WOT runs up entrance ramps, leaving motor running when stoped to consult map on the laptop, WOT to pass other cars, etc.

All of that and we still got 22.8 MPH.....

Back from Ft Laudderdale ( 427 mile trip ). Average speed 79.8 MPH. Mileage 22.8 MPH.

Speed kills...... my son did all the driving in his youthful ( read - wasteful style ); WOT runs up entrance ramps, leaving motor running when stoped to consult map on the laptop, WOT to pass other cars, etc.

That's a lot of unnessary strain on the driveline, I find it odd you let your vehicle get driven this way, given all that you have invested in it. To each his own I suppose.

If I *averaged* 79.8 mph I would get some tickets!
You must have a Valentine One or some other quality detector!

WOT every now and again isn't a bad thing. Believe it or not, I get better milage with WOT.

I would say my average speed is around 80 mph daily driving to and from work... I don't do much punch and brake... usually just cruise at around 85 steady most of the way (30 miles each way). Add quite a bit of city driving to that... about 100 miles a day average. Today I filled my truck up and ran the numbers - 200 miles - 14.5 gallons = 13.79 mpg...

1998 Sport with 4.0 SOHC with only KKM induction...

200 miles to a tank is a bit crazy. I'll try to stay around the speed limit now, take it easy in the city... and see what I get.

Well I am off to the Atlanta area tomorrow at o dark thirty. I am interested in seeing what the recent additions and mods will do to the mileage.

I'm interested too... I've got to go back in this thread and see what all mods you have on your truck. I have tested my truck on a second tank of gas and came with an improvement - big deal!!! I have driven my truck within the speed limits... top speed at 70 mph... average highway speed 65 mph.... mixed city/highway driving - easy, very easy on the gas pedal.... no serious acceleration.... nothing. Drove it like my 63 year old father would... and came with 14.7 mpg...

so it all came to 1 gallon improvement over my regular driving.

With your push rod motor, you'll never get close to Al's MPG.

The MPG MPH threshold seems to be 60mph for me. 60 and below on the freeway and I got 18-19 before mods.

I haven't taken a long trip since the mods, so this summer to Eastern Montana will be interesting, if I can keep my foot off the pedal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently did a test tankful where I drove like a grandma... and here are the results: (94 Sport 4x4 4.0 OHV engine):

Normal in-town mpg = 13.6 mpg
Grandma driving in-town mpg = 14.7 mpg

So 15 mpg (factory sticker spec for 94 Sport 4x4) IS possible, if you really baby it while accelerating, and avoid the hills...

Back