My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Down in te bottom right corner of each post it says Quote. Click that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally hit 33 MPG.

On a recent trip from Sarasota to Marathon ( Florida Keys ), I managed to get 33 MPG.

Average speed was 62.5 MPH. However, about 2/3 of the trip was at 75 MPH; then the spped droped drastically due to heavy rain in the Miami area and the speed limit in the Keys.

I have not refueled on the return trip, so I have no data for that leg.

what in the world??!!! i couldn't get over 19 mpg in my X if my life depended on it!!! my driving habits are too agressive. i do almost all freeway driving. agressive off the line. drive over 75mph on the freeways unless traffic. when i go to the pump, i calculate about 320 miles and fill under 19 gallons. it will be really hard, but i'm going to try to drive a few tanks real conservatively and see what happens. the 19mpg that i got was the first few times that i drove my X. after then, it was all downhill.

Originally posted by baehan
i do almost all freeway driving. agressive off the line. drive over 75mph on the freeways unless traffic.

You just summed up the reason many get less than ideal fuel mileage.

Have you done any mods that will help: synthetic fluids, KKM, cat back, etc.?

Good luck.....

no mods yet. i'll be getting the intake w/ piping and the exhaust soon. how much do synthetic fluids help? i was thinking about that. how much more is maintenance if i go synthetic? cost?

Just returned from a round trip to the rancj 1999 miles. The mileage going up was 29,8 MPG and I havn't calculated the return mileage.

How many miles are on your truck?

what should a 98 AWD v8 yield??

Hey Al, you ever thought of getting (if they make them) a fiberglass hood? They weigh next to nothing, and your stock hood is rather heavy. Maybe that much weight loss will do you some good.

No I have no thought of a hood replacement. I am not as concerned with weigh since I often canny 12 or so scuba tanks and extra people.

Mobil 1 ATF in auto tranny ?!?!

Hi Al,
Does Mobil make the Mobil 1 ATF with Mercon V spec? I have been looking for that about 5 years now.

Shane

Re: Mobil 1 ATF in auto tranny ?!?!

Originally posted by 98EBV8
Hi Al,
Does Mobil make the Mobil 1 ATF with Mercon V spec? I have been looking for that about 5 years now.

Shane

Both Mobil 1 and Amsoil ATF can be used where Mercon V is specified. I have been for years.

Originally posted by aldive
I am not as concerned with weigh since I often canny 12 or so scuba tanks and extra people.
Maybe it is something you should look into. I remember reading that you keep up with NASCAR, every notice how much attention they pay to weight?

A fiberglass hood coupled with a fiberglass rear roll pan (you're lowered, it'd look good too) would yield some seriouis weight loss. The hood is pretty heavy, and the bumper is really heavy.

Tire/wheel combo can make a huge difference also. A set of larger wheels, but ones that are also lighter, will obviously allow smaller, lighter tires. Lessening the amount of weight the engine has to turn can make the biggest differences. Another thought along those lines would be a lightweight driveshaft.

Originally posted by yob_yeknom
Tire/wheel combo can make a huge difference also. A set of larger wheels, but ones that are also lighter, will obviously allow smaller, lighter tires. Lessening the amount of weight the engine has to turn can make the biggest differences. Another thought along those lines would be a lightweight driveshaft.

If you want the best tire/wheel combo, Al would have to go with the narrowest tire possible. Think road bike vs. mountain bike. Large, light but also narrow wheels with a tiny, itty-bity tire would be the best for milage. My fat 275/55 tires definitely do not help with milage.

Hey Al, I just noticed om your website that you got your degrees in Micro. Same here. So you're a glutton for punishment also, huh.

30 MPG, DAMN THAT'S IMPRESSIVE. I've got a bone stock 94 4x4 with the 3.27's. I average 13 in town and 19 highway. The best I've every done is 24 mpg, and that was keeping it at 65 mph. That's not bad for a stocker with 100k on her though. Just hoping the tranny doesn't go like I keep hearing about.

Holy Grail

You must have a Holy Grail. Don't get it totaled. You will NEVER get that again. :eek:

I tried. I really, really tried. I drove as conservatively as I could. Never revving past 2500 rpm, no suden starts or stops. Nice and smooth driving. Most of it was in the city, so the milage couldn't be that good, but I averaged 13.8 mpg. What's going on here? When I drive normally, I get 16 mpg.

Have you made any modifications that lead to better mileage?

When mine was bone stock, I got 20-21 MPG at highway speeds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Next stage of economy modifications will incluse the following:

(1) Granetelli MAF
(2) Diablo Delta chip
(3) replace belt driven fan with an electric one

Then who knows whats next......

Back