My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

I'm up to 15.6 mpg now! That's the highest it's been since I started keeping track! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Al,

I've done most of the same mods you have. Intake, exhaust, TB, chip, full synthetics, etc. On long trips I have gotten above 20, but not by much. I have even taken off the roof rack. I'm sure the extra wide tires don't help, but at higher speed, wind resistance makes up over 90% of friction rather than the static friction of the tires. Not sure what I'm doing to give such low milage. I'll keep trying. I'll be driving up to Tucson several times this coming month, so I can keep track of long distance milage.

Originally posted by DocVijay
I've done most of the same mods you have. Intake, exhaust, TB, chip, full synthetics, etc. On long trips I have gotten above 20, but not by much. I have even taken off the roof rack. I'm sure the extra wide tires don't help, but at higher speed, wind resistance makes up over 90% of friction rather than the static friction of the tires. Not sure what I'm doing to give such low milage. I'll keep trying. I'll be driving up to Tucson several times this coming month, so I can keep track of long distance milage.

First of all, I do not have a TB mod nor a chip ( yet, the Diablo Delta is in the works ).

What speed do you drive on long trips?

Wider tires definately hurt.

Further, I have the SOHC and I feel it is a much more efficient motor.

Yep the SOHC is more efficient. I usually cruise at 65-70 on long trips. I always make sure I have plenty of time, so I'm in no hurry. The X turns into a real brick at higher speeds anyway. I don't think the TB has any effect on mpg, and the chip (in theory) should help a bit. I usually just set cruise control and just go for a whole tank, so I'm not accelerating and slowing that much.

Well, I am leaving Sunday for a week at the ranch. We shall see what she gets on the drive to Georgia this time.

I am going to run the tires at 40psig this time. No other changes.

Aldive,

I agree driving habits make a difference, and the 40PSI will help also, but I have to ask how you are determining the mileage on a trip. If you are measuring it on a single, or even two tanks, it isn't accurate at all. There is no way you can fill to the same point on two consecutive tank fills. Check the mileage cumulative over at least 5 tanks, and I'll say you are reporting accurately.

By the way, I consistently get around 24.5 on a trip, keeping it under 70 MPH. The last one was a little over 2300 miles round trip to Southern Calif. Averaged 24.3 for the entire trip (total miles / total gas)

Ed

Now Al, rmember that it's possible to have too much tire pressure. It may adversely affect handling and they will also be more prone to blowouts. What do you have them at now?

As for my X, I was looking over my records, and right after I installe my exhaust, I was getting 15-16 mpg in the city. Now, for the past 3 tanks, it's been 12-13 mpg in the city with no changes. There's something going on here.

Don't most X's already have a light driveshaft??
my '94 has an aluminum one.

Originally posted by GenerationX
Don't most X's already have a light driveshaft??
my '94 has an aluminum one.
So your's has no rust on it?

Just returned from a roundtrip to the ranch. Got 20.1 on the way up at an average speed of 68.9 MPH. Have not filled up upom return but the odomoter reads 517 miles and there is about 1/8 tank left.

I am pleased.

Quoting Aldive: "Just returned from a roundtrip to the ranch. Got 20.1 on the way up at an average speed of 68.9 MPH. Have not filled up upom return but the odomoter reads 517 miles and there is about 1/8 tank left. "

if you got 20.1 mpg, and your odometer says 517 miles, then that means you got a 25 gallon tank, if not bigger. unless you changed your stock gas tank, something's not right.

1/8 tank left after 517 miles. i'm sorry, but that's just not believeable.

aldive, I don't understand why you're using your GPS to measure distance and average speed. Do you have some kind of GPS that can measure travelled distance (arc length) rather than "as the crow flies" distance? Why not just use your odometer and a watch?

Originally posted by 99Mounty
Quoting Aldive: "Just returned from a roundtrip to the ranch. Got 20.1 on the way up at an average speed of 68.9 MPH. Have not filled up upom return but the odomoter reads 517 miles and there is about 1/8 tank left. "

if you got 20.1 mpg, and your odometer says 517 miles, then that means you got a 25 gallon tank, if not bigger. unless you changed your stock gas tank, something's not right.

1/8 tank left after 517 miles. i'm sorry, but that's just not believeable.

It was a tired eyed typo; should read 30.1 MPG. This has been repeated quite a dew times.

Speed definitely kills gas mileage, the relationship between speed and gas mileage is not 1:1. The formula for energy (gas burning) says
Energy= (1/2) X (Mass) X (Speed squared.)
That means if you go from 70MPH to 80MPH you use 30% more gas. It also means its a lot more effective to decrease your speed then decrease your weight.

sorry for gettin my nerd on like that but I am an Engineering student

Originally posted by Abominous95XLT
Speed definitely kills gas mileage, the relationship between speed and gas mileage is not 1:1. The formula for energy (gas burning) says
Energy= (1/2) X (Mass) X (Speed squared.)
That means if you go from 70MPH to 80MPH you use 30% more gas. It also means its a lot more effective to decrease your speed then decrease your weight.

sorry for gettin my nerd on like that but I am an Engineering student

So very true....

I have shown a signigficient difference in mileage going from 72-75 to 65-68 MPH.

Speed kills....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4x2 vs. 4x4 that is the difference between the guys with the mid-teen mpg trucks and the high-twenty mpg wagons.

Back