• Register Today It's free!

My Review on my 2013 Ex Sport

NY1PR2012

Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
It has been almost two months since I took delivery of my 2013 Ford Explorer Sport in the White Platinum Tri- Coat with the Charcoal Black Sienna Interior and with the Equipment Group 402A. I wanted to drive my Sport for a little while before writing this review and share my experience with you all here at the forum and after driving just over 1000 miles I felt it was time for the review.

I will begin by telling you that driving this Sport for the past 2 months have been a wonderful and enjoyable experience. I am yet to come across any problems that a few here have experienced with their Sports. My Ford Touch has worked flawlessly and there has never been a glitch with its performance. I have never experience any rattle or any kind of noise coming from anywhere in the Sport. No smell of any kind. Absolutely nothing to complaint about. Everything has worked and performed as it supposed to be. I am truly 100% satisfied with my Sport and I will highly recommended to anyone.

The 1000 miles that I have put in the Sport has been mostly highway miles. Also I must point out that I only put 91 or 93 Octane gas in my Sport, nothing less. The first thing that I can tell you about the Sport is that it has power!! Lots of power!! This is a very agile and fun to drive SUV. Because its 365 ponies and 350ft lb of torque the Sport is made to accelerate quickly and trust me it does. Just tap on the gas pedal and this menacing looking SUV is moving. I have not experienced any hesitation in the acceleration and remember that this is an almost 5000 lbs SUV. I've found the transmission to be more responsive making downshitfs with just a nudge at the throttle and not like my previous 2012 Ford Explorer Limited where I had to stomped on the gas pedal to make it move. I have experienced all this without having to floored my sport because I want to wait and put a few more miles before doing so I can't comment as to how those gorgeous twin turbos will perform but I am certainly that there will be no need to this since there is plenty of power as is and I know that when and if I do it I will not be disappointed.

Due to its tight sport suspension the Sport behaves extremely well when I am turning corners. The steering is very responsive and way much better than in my 2012 Explorer limited. You have better body control regardless of your driving conditions.I know some people have complaint about torque steer but I have not experience that at all. This Ford Explorer Sport is meant to go fast, cruise around town and everything in between. I have been at times doing 70 MPH(cruising) and this SUV wants more. Again just press the gas and it goes to 80 or 90 in no time. This is one menacing looking Explorer in Steroids. This SUV has big "Cojones". I honesty feel that for $50K you are not going to find a better high performance SUV like this Ford Explorer Sport. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I ordered my Sport with the Charcoal Black Sienna Leather Interior Seats and let me tell you that they are gorgeous!! Just the feel of the leather lets you know that Ford went all out to give you one of the best quality leather seats available. Even the stitching around the seats is top notch!! The so called Luxury seating beige leather interior in my 2012 Explorer Limited does not even come close in feel and quality to the one installed in my current Sport. I'll guess you will probably have to go to a dealer and fine a Sport with this interior in order to appreciate what I am telling you. Ford those of us who have been lucky enough to order theirs Sports with this interior can verify what I am saying.

One of the only things that I wish Ford would have included as an option in the Sport will be the "Power Deploying Third Row Seats" and it is not because I can't fold the seats manually, I am 6'1' and I have no problem doing so but my wife is 5'2' and we have a 10 month old daughter and it will be nice that if she is shopping without me and carrying bags or pushing the stroller that she with the touch of just one button fold the seats without having to put the bags down or anything else she is carrying in order to accomplish this. I know that eventually Ford will offer this but probably in the 2015 model year because I already know that it is not available in the 2014 model.

I will continue adding to this short review as I spend more enjoyable time driving my Sport.

Best regards to all,
Carlos.

B46-B93F6EBB3A2E-4877-000001C1EF82CB96_zpsf9c693b0.jpg

E6B-C9BAD5305DD4-4877-000001C1ED435193_zpsa1b1275d.jpg

B2D-346B9BFDDFD1-4877-000001F5733B8A7F_zps2cfbbba0.jpg

52-878137503D3F-14979-000006246B5C1A2E_zpsc3fd582e.jpg

AE-1F5B117EE245-14979-0000062440903972_zpsc80173ed.jpg

406-14EB841D25E5-4877-000001F570055030_zps3232f78b.jpg

7B8-1D8D230B9FE2-4180-0000018892ABD5F4_zps2c86f473.jpg

182-96CCF614781A-4180-000001888C98C3EC_zpsbaf72424.jpg

17B-81C1C3FC794D-3301-0000013F2EBA676D_zps16f1bb95.jpg

281-52352331ACA7-4877-000001C1F18F6C91_zpsf1c77333.jpg

ExplorerSport22_zpscfb94721.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Refreshing to hear others' happy purchases, NY1PR2012! How has radio/xm/nav been with the shark fin antenna? Was it difficult to install?

Amen to that Carlos. I absolutely love my Explorer Sport and would definitely recommend it to anyone. To truly understand the power it has you have to drive it. I have been WOT a couple of times. Boy does it boogy. Amazing. I have to catch myself around town. The old lady told me to lay off the throttle the other day as I was giving her whiplash. LOL.

Refreshing to hear others' happy purchases, NY1PR2012! How has radio/xm/nav been with the shark fin antenna? Was it difficult to install?

It was not difficult at all. It takes maybe 10 minutes at the most and there has never been a reception problem at all. Everything works as it should and I can honestly say that even better than the stock antenna. This is my second Shark Finn Antenna since I also had one installed in my previous 2012 Ford Explorer limited.

Below is a link to that thread about the Shark Finn Antenna in my 2012 Explorer limited,

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343743

Here are photos of the Shark Finn Antenna in my Sport,

DSC04934_zps6ea0493d.jpg

DSC04936_zps286e4a44.jpg

DSC04926_zps41b168c2.jpg

Amen to that Carlos. I absolutely love my Explorer Sport and would definitely recommend it to anyone. To truly understand the power it has you have to drive it. I have been WOT a couple of times. Boy does it boogy. Amazing. I have to catch myself around town. The old lady told me to lay off the throttle the other day as I was giving her whiplash. LOL.

lol. I know what you mean. My wife also told me the same thing. She didn't know that I have 365 ponies under the hood so she told me to lay off the gas pedal when she is in the car so I kind of drive like an old man when she is in but every so often I tend to forget(yeah right) and there goes her head only to get a nasty look to remind me to lay off the pedal. lol.

But soon I will be putting the gas pedal to the floor just to see what those beautiful twin turbos will do. Ill keep you posted !! it will be fun!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ny1pr2012, hey buddy do your self a favor and edit the pictures and take off your license plate number for security reason's....!

Yes. That's a good idea. Edit your license plate. Alot of info can be gained from it. It could cause you some problems.

One shouldn't post any personal info on the internet. Look to the left. I'm from Fredericton NB Canada. Or am I?????

Ny1pr2012, hey buddy do your self a favor and edit the pictures and take off your license plate number for security reason's....!

Thank you Newport and broken strut for your advice. Will do as soon as I get a chance. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Carlos,

Great write-up; I like your passion. I feel ya. Thanks for posting some positive vibes. Dig the photos, too.

If you get the chance to take/post more pics, it'd be great if we could see a wider rear shot, pulled back a bit vertically so we can see from the top of the sharkfin to the bottom of the tire tread, showing the aggressive wider track & stance of the Sport's bigger wheels [9"] & tires [hopefully the 265s?] from the rear straight on. I'm a sucker for vehicle butt shots!

Driving my wife's Limited I've enjoyed following behind the few Sports around town and watching how they take turns; late, short brake & accelerate; the driver's are all spirited. I'm keeping up with them in the twisties but I lose them in the straightaways.

Test drving a Sport right now would be torture; since I can't afford it, I don't even want to know how good it feels.

Mike [isiwibi]

nice review. I feel the same way about my '13 Sport!

where did you get the running boards/rail..i have yet to find a company that makes them for Sport...maybe i am not looking hard enough, but i love the look...can you help another sporter out disclose the info.

also i noticed that on the roof rack you have the cross bars, i only have the main frame not the bar that goes in between the roof rack. Did Ford put those on? Or did you add them later...I just picked up my car on Thursday..so much to learn and ask.

where did you get the running boards/rail..i have yet to find a company that makes them for Sport...maybe i am not looking hard enough, but i love the look...can you help another sporter out disclose the info.

Hi blacksuv, The running boards that I have install in my Sport are from DeeZee and they are the model #16202 and you will need the mounting brackets # DZ16221. These are the one in Black with the Chrome Trim. You can also get the ones in all Black or the ones in Stainless Steel with Black Trim.

There is no dealing required at all and they take no more than half an hour to install. There is plenty of room under the Sport so you do not need to put it on ramps or a lift.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here is a link of the website from DeeZee,

http://www.deezee.com/products/83/N...unning_Boards_|_Steps/NXc_Running_Boards.html

also i noticed that on the roof rack you have the cross bars, i only have the main frame not the bar that goes in between the roof rack. Did Ford put those on? Or did you add them later...I just picked up my car on Thursday..so much to learn and ask.

The Cross bars were ordered from Ford and I installed them myself and it only took 20 minutes to do so. But you can also get them off ebay for much less and they are OEM .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2013-F...Submodel:Limited&hash=item56543b94c3&vxp=mtr:

Carlos,

Great write-up; I like your passion. I feel ya. Thanks for posting some positive vibes. Dig the photos, too.

If you get the chance to take/post more pics, it'd be great if we could see a wider rear shot, pulled back a bit vertically so we can see from the top of the sharkfin to the bottom of the tire tread, showing the aggressive wider track & stance of the Sport's bigger wheels [9"] & tires [hopefully the 265s?] from the rear straight on. I'm a sucker for vehicle butt shots!

Driving my wife's Limited I've enjoyed following behind the few Sports around town and watching how they take turns; late, short brake & accelerate; the driver's are all spirited. I'm keeping up with them in the twisties but I lose them in the straightaways.

Test drving a Sport right now would be torture; since I can't afford it, I don't even want to know how good it feels.

Mike [isiwibi]

Hi isiwibi,
I took these few pictures of the back as you requested but it was a little cloudy so I am not sure if I was able to accomplished what you want it. Please let me know, otherwise I will take better pictures on a sunny day.

e634f7be-5532-46a3-9832-96c643090d23_zps81a1a411.jpg

e7b17d7c-e87b-40ce-abbf-8a8bba630b44_zps1127625a.jpg

15-41F6A5361E42-14979-000006245317A6B8_zpscab311c9.jpg

35f716a6-d479-4228-a514-a716d6e38109_zpsbf061406.jpg

fc767093-c047-4d53-875e-25a1cbcad270_zps4be78795.jpg

64cef9ee-9eba-46bc-92d2-ac9dde611f52_zps83e3f6c9.jpg

What Octane have you been running in it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has been almost two months since I took delivery of my 2013 Ford Explorer Sport in the White Platinum Tri- Coat with the Charcoal Black Sienna Interior and with the Equipment Group 402A. I wanted to drive my Sport for a little while before writing this review and share my experience with you all here at the forum and after driving just over 1000 miles I felt it was time for the review...

Great review and awesome pictures as always, Carlos. You can post your suggestions for improvements to the "Your Ideas" tab of http://social.ford.com. Ideas can be voted on and are reviewed daily.

I'll look forward to reading your updates! :)

Crystal

Back