My rotors are warped, gotta a couple of ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My rotors are warped, gotta a couple of ???

ShadowA2J

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Gratiot, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport, '80 Vette
Alright, found out that my rotors are warped on the front of my 2001 X Sport. What are the best/ cheapest place to buy new rotors? Also, should I replace the brake pads as well? Anything else I should be looking for? I've never done rotors before, but I have someone willing to help, and a Ford service manual to assist me as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they are indeed warped, I'd get some Explorer Express slotted rotors. Shouldn't need new pads though.

its a good idea to change your pads if you change your rotors, especialy if your switching to performance parts. powerslot says new pads are required in the instructions.

i agree. new rotors = new pads too.

What are some signs that may mean my rotors are warped?

The biggest symptom is pulsating and vibration when you brake.

I heard that lots of times when rotors are thought to be warped, it's really another problem like ball joints.

Hartman said:
The biggest symptom is pulsating and vibration when you brake.

I definitely have that :(

u dont have disk breaks(unless u installled them aftermarket)

could be... what leads you to beleive your rotors are warped? lots of things can cuase the same situations as a warped rotor cuases....

however, if replacing the rotors, put new pads.... as noise is normally a result that happens... glazed old pads on new finishes of the rotor...

jared ajlouny said:
u dont have disk breaks(unless u installled them aftermarket)

Yes he does have disks in the front, but not in the rear.

oh yea, i just remembered that after i posted

Whenever I push the brake pedal the whole damn steering wheel shakes like hell. It's not just a vibration, you can feel the vehicle vibrate and see the steering wheel shake. This really only happens if I brake pretty hard. If I brake easily, you can barely even notice anything.

jimabena74 said:
could be... what leads you to beleive your rotors are warped? lots of things can cuase the same situations as a warped rotor cuases....

If you are talking to me, someone told me that my rotors were warped after they drove my truck. Then today I pulled my wheel off and when I spun the rotor, it spun fine until the part that was warped got around to the pads, then became hard to spin. Visual inspection led me to that conclusion as well because the warped part is all jacked up on the top. I should have taken some pics, but I didn't think of it.

I really don't want to spend the money on some EE rotors, but I guess they aren't that much more expensive as some of the other ones I could find. $100 a piece? Anybody think this is too much, or should I just spend the $350 on the power slot ones?

All:

Most seem to think the EE discs are good, as are the Powerslots. I've not used them, so I can't say for sure. How does the cost compare to OEM? I ask because you could get a set of those and have them cryo-treated if they're cheap enough.

Also, not to nit-pick, but '01 Sports have disc brakes front and rear. At least, mine does.

Regards,
John.

the_tool_man said:
All:
Also, not to nit-pick, but '01 Sports have disc brakes front and rear. At least, mine does.

Regards,
John.

My '01 Sport also has F/R disc brakes.

All Explorers from 95-present have rear discs ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorer is very heavy and has basically wimpy front brakes, thats why they warp so easily. Definately spend the money on some slotted rotors, they help to dissipate the heat and will keep you from having to keep on replacing the rotors, they'll pay for themselves over time.

Back