My S/C install...Finally! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My S/C install...Finally!

Sounds like everyones input is paying off.

Talked with my tuner again today. He pretty much gave me the same advice that everone who contibuted gave me.

So what I have done so far....

Supercharger is installed. Had to modify a couple wiring harnesses but that is done. Need to install bigger injectors and fuel pump. Those should arrive around the 12th. Been working on getting all my gauges wired. This is where I am lacking. My expert friend is sick so I am doing what I can by myself. Just takes me alot longer. Also I had a heck of a time but resealed my leaky TMH's. Wont know for sure untill I run it.

What I still need to do.....

Installing 30lb injectors along with a Walbro GSL 392 inline pump. Need to go with my 90mm MAF so need to finish the intake mockup. My tuner suggested I run a bypass valve even at just 6lb's of boost. I have one. He suggested I could run it as a blow off valve but that is most beneficial when running an intercooler. I dont plan to run one so a bypass system is recommended. The plumbing for that will be a challenge. I will see how it goes. Also running the one step cooler Autolite copper plugs gapped to .035. Also running a 180 deg thermostat vs the 195.

If anyone has more suggestions, let me know.

The final tuning will be done at thier shop on the dyno. I just need to send in my form so I can get a tune that will make the truck driveable for the trip down there.

I will upate pics as I progress.
Thanks to all who offered advice.:thumbsup:
Sounds like everything i asked about.
my suggestions would to run larger than 30lbs injectors for sure,we run 36lb minimum on our v6s .i would run least 38 or 42s.definitely run a bypass of some sort.i would look into intercooling or water meth if you plan on turning the boost up,which always ends up happening.also may want to look into larger tbs,i would go with least a 75mm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like everything i asked about.
my suggestions would to run larger than 30lbs injectors for sure,we run 36lb minimum on our v6s .i would run least 38 or 42s.definitely run a bypass of some sort.i would look into intercooling or water meth if you plan on turning the boost up,which always ends up happening.also may want to look into larger tbs,i would go with least a 75mm

Im going to talk to my tuner again tomorrow. I did mention I already had 42 lb injectors and was told unless i planned a 700HP build, I didnt need them. The larger TPS never came up during our discussion, so I will ask about that. I was told that intake airflow was something I needed to consider and with the stock GT-40 heads bigger isnt always better.
It's hard to motivate myself to do this alone so hoping my buddy gets well soon.

Im going to talk to my tuner again tomorrow. I did mention I already had 42 lb injectors and was told unless i planned a 700HP build, I didnt need them. The larger TPS never came up during our discussion, so I will ask about that. I was told that intake airflow was something I needed to consider and with the stock GT-40 heads bigger isnt always better.
It's hard to motivate myself to do this alone so hoping my buddy gets well soon.

Its different with FI.that 700 is for NA motors.any good tuner can tune for larger injectors but not for to small.sorry i was talking about throttle bodys.bigger isn't always better but with FI you want the air to get in and out as easy as possible .stock tb is just that..stock,for stock air flow.you bought your 90mm maf yet?think i paid 75 shipped for mine;)

Its different with FI.that 700 is for NA motors.any good tuner can tune for larger injectors but not for to small.sorry i was talking about throttle bodys.bigger isn't always better but with FI you want the air to get in and out as easy as possible .stock tb is just that..stock,for stock air flow.you bought your 90mm maf yet?think i paid 75 shipped for mine;)

Yep, I have the MAF. It came with my injectors...a couple years ago.
Waiting to hear on the throttle body. I will go measure mine. I never thought to do that. My concern would be that my stock heads are to restrictive. I am just going for bolt ons at this point so new heads and engine internals would have to wait. Another reason to keep it toned down a bit. A blown motor would really suck this winter:(

You got a good deal on your MAF by the way. I always seem to overpay for everything.

Yep, I have the MAF. It came with my injectors...a couple years ago.
Waiting to hear on the throttle body. I will go measure mine. I never thought to do that. My concern would be that my stock heads are to restrictive. I am just going for bolt ons at this point so new heads and engine internals would have to wait. Another reason to keep it toned down a bit. A blown motor would really suck this winter:(

You got a good deal on your MAF by the way. I always seem to overpay for everything.

Those gt40 heads will flow plenty,more than what your stock bottom end will handle.i would still keep around 6lbs considering you don't have cam or any motor supporting mods .if you have the 42s defiantly use them.stock tb is pretty big but larger would help.wile you have the top end off you may look into a little higher ratio rockers .they aren't that much and would give you more air flow.always can use them later on down the road if you do a rebuild also.

My TB measures in at 70mm ID....Assuming my cheap plastic ruler is accurate.:D

This an older post but seems to be the consensus....
Hundreds of Mustang Dyno tests confirmed that the 302 does not need anything larger than a 65mm throttle body for normally aspirated stock RPM use(below 5000RPM).

A 70mm will gain a minute amount of power, and you will lose some bottom end power. Thus a 70mm throttle is a wash for an Explorer, and a 75mm throttle body would lose more power, on average.

Stick with the stock TB, and put money into something which will help. The MAF meter could be a little larger, and it would not kill bottom end power. Good luck,

Attachments

• IMG_1337.JPG
    IMG_1337.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 253

My TB measures in at 70mm ID....Assuming my cheap plastic ruler is accurate.:D

This an older post but seems to be the consensus....

You cant measure that way,has to be at the butterfly.stock is 65mm and I've read that thread,key word is stock naturally aspirated.you are not NA.like i said stock is pretty big so i wouldn't drop everything and get one.personally i would look into a higher ratio roller rocker.your see more power out of that and you cant get to them as easy as a tb.i run the accufab 75mm for the 5.0

Never pulled the valve covers....Hate to think what I will see. Im not going to repully, at least this year. I want to drive it this winter. Also like I said, no internal work for now. Perhaps down the road if I rebuild.
Should be fun regardless.

Never pulled the valve covers....Hate to think what I will see. Im not going to repully, at least this year. I want to drive it this winter. Also like I said, no internal work for now. Perhaps down the road if I rebuild.
Should be fun regardless.

Then you should be good with what you got then.i would use those 42s,90mm maf and new fuel pump .you should be good with that till a rebuilt.nice and safe.watch your intake temps.you go turning the boost up your going to have to do IC or W/M

Yeah, wasnt sure where to measure from. Hopefully know some more tomorrow. These guys can tune anything. I can always make more power but for now I will have to stick with what I have. Im sure I will have to tweak a few things. Trying to figure out how to run my bypass valve for example. Even though I have kept commercial airliners flying for 2+ decades I have never been a natural around cars so I leave alot of the stuff to the pro's.

Then you should be good with what you got then.i would use those 42s,90mm maf and new fuel pump .you should be good with that till a rebuilt.nice and safe.watch your intake temps.you go turning the boost up your going to have to do IC or W/M

I need to talk with my tuner about intercooling. Not sure what direction to go with that. as far as water/meth, this kit is spendy but I did do my homework on these and this is a very good system. Also do to the fact that I have no underhood space, the remote pump and resevoir is a big plus. Again this is down the road...The Stage 1 kit...

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/Trunk-Mount-Systems/c37/index.html

I need to talk with my tuner about intercooling. Not sure what direction to go with that. as far as water/meth, this kit is spendy but I did do my homework on these and this is a very good system. Also do to the fact that I have no underhood space, the remote pump and resevoir is a big plus. Again this is down the road...The Stage 1 kit...

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/Trunk-Mount-Systems/c37/index.html
Your sc doesnt produce as high of temps as a roots so you can probably get away with just the w/m.your just have to wait and see where your intake temps are at.

Do you really need remote reservoir? I guess it depends on what you are using for windshield washer fluid.

I read everywhere that the blue windshield washer fluid is almost perfect for water/Meth injection. I think I'm going to go with my existing reservoir.

Do you really need remote reservoir? I guess it depends on what you are using for windshield washer fluid.

I read everywhere that the blue windshield washer fluid is almost perfect for water/Meth injection. I think I'm going to go with my existing reservoir.

Personally i wouldnt use window washer fluid or the stock container .its not a very controlled made fluid,who knows what's in your old lines or container and 99% of kits come with a container .also the w/m fluid is pretty cheap and mixed just for injection not cleaning.also you never know when your run out or use all your fluid on your windshield and if you are tuned for use of w/m the last thing you want to do is run of fluid during a WOT pull.

Everything you say is true JD. Im more worried about chunks of whatever being pushed thru the system. A filter might be in order.

It's a space issue. I'll have to have a closer look at where I could mount a container.

Everything you say is true JD. Im more worried about chunks of whatever being pushed thru the system. A filter might be in order.

It's a space issue. I'll have to have a closer look at where I could mount a container.

I would be. more inclined to use the rear window washer fluid container if anything.but i would pull it out and clean the crap out of it and use a filter.or mount another container right next to it in the back panel.

I would be. more inclined to use the rear window washer fluid container if anything.but i would pull it out and clean the crap out of it and use a filter.or mount another container right next to it in the back panel.

Water meth is on the back burner for now but really a remote tank is my only option. Already had to remove my coolant recovery tank to make room for the intake plumbing so like DONO said, underhood space is at a premium.
I did get the green light from my tuner to use my 42lb inectors coupled to my 90mm lightning maf and stock tb. So hope to get to working on that later today. Probably wont see my fuel pump until early next week. Maybe my buddy will be feeling better by then and give me a hand. Anyone in the market for a set of 30lb (8 of the them) EV1 injectors?

So I have been slacking a bit. Managed to get my 42# injectors in. Installed new header gaskets and bolts. Installed the upper intake manifold and mocked up my intake. I want to be sure my IAT sensor and bypass valve plumbing is where I need it to be. Should be recieving a tune so the truck will be driveable down to the dyno. My timeline is behind schedule so I figure another couple weeks. Hope to have more to share by then.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got my new tune installed...for free!:thumbsup: It's supposed to make the truck driveable so I can get it down to the dyno. Doing a little more modifying on the intake to better accept the bypass valve and need to fabricate a couple brackets to hold it all in place. The fuel delivery system is still up in the air. I dont want to deal with it so I will get it addressed when
i get down to the tuner. I am somewhat handicapped with an injury to my hand so Im trying to do what I can. This weekend i hope to have a couple friends come by and help me out. If that happens i should be able to see if it runs and get some more pics. Wiring (which im no good at) the gauges and an oil change are on the menu for tommorrow.

Back