• Register Today It's free!

My S/C install...Finally!

zachow3

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 5.0 AWD
Well after about 4 years of aquiring parts and knowledge, I finally took the plunge and began my S/C install. I hope to be turning the key in the next
week. For now I am going with a simple install. Leaving out the bigger injectors, maf, fuel pump etc. Looking to see how it performs on all the stock equipment. I do have TMH's and a 1" phenolic spacer already installed. S/C is hard mounted and while I have the upper intake off I replaced all the egr equipment since it was throwing a P0402 code. Also due to the alternator relocation I am having that harness lenghtened tomorrow. Also going through all my vacuum lines and wiring. I am not good at wiring but hopefully my buddy can help me hook up my a/f and boost gauges. I have a livewire with custom tunes from Henson. I think we can tweak those if need be. Anyway, here is a couple pics of where I am so far. This is with a stock 6lb pulley. That should be a good starting point.

Attachments

• IMG_1324.jpg
    IMG_1324.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 631

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet man cant wait to see it finished. what size injectors does it have now 19lb?

19's now but hopefully if all goes well I will step up to my 42's. But not anytime soon.

Done for tonight. Mounted the windshield wiper and coolant recovery tanks. I think I want to tweak the intake plumbing a little more. It's hard to route. Tomorrow I will change out the header bolts for the ARP ones I have. Maybe I can seal up those gaskets better. New plugs and wires too. Not sure on the plugs. I have stock heat range autolite coppers and also one step cooler. Deciding on which to use and gap to.
Depending on my bad back and the progress I make tomorrow, I should pretty much have it all together hopefully.
I will post more pics as I make progress. Perhaps a You Tube video at some point.;)

Everyone is so quiet... Should have posted in the Need for Speed section.
Couple more pics
Its dark but I will have more pics of progress tomorrow...I hope.

Attachments

• IMG_1328.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_1329.jpg
    IMG_1329.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 607

Im not very good at saving my picures where I can easily find them but I dug up a few more. I do have a new drivers side header I was hoping to install and replace my header gaskets with a set of Remflex ones but that is for another day. Cant find a pic of my gauge install but it is similar to the one below. Also might have to hack up my MAC CAI since I hate that cheap plastic one that came with the kit and that will give me a place to mount my IAT sensor downstream of the supercharger...

Attachments

• IM000043Large.jpg
    IM000043Large.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 582
  • 30boost.jpg
    30boost.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 582
  • dcp_0609.jpg
    dcp_0609.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 603

Awesome!

Thanks,
Been a long time coming. Need to get this back on the road so I can park my Fiero before the rains come.:)

i really like the gauge set up!, there had better be videos of this when its finished!. keep it up:thumbsup:

Thats not my guage setup. I "borrowed" that picture. Mine is similar but untill they are powered up their just black so I didnt think a pic would show much. I also have a two gauge pillar pod for oil pressure and water/trans temp too. Thats my weak point though, wiring those things up. Waiting for help.;)

So the first pic is my agenda for today after I get back from the alternator shop with my new harness.
The second pic is down the road. Depending on how the truck runs and if I dont grenade it. The electric exhuast cutouts should be fun!:)

Attachments

• IMG_1330 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1330 (Small).JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_1331 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1331 (Small).JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 577

Quick shot of my gauges. Center console is boost and air/fuel. Pillar pod is water/trans temp and oil pressure. Heading down to get my alternator harness lenghtened. So far so good:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_1332.JPG
    IMG_1332.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 587

Subscribed, can't wait to see this done! And I really like that gauge setup, looks a hell of a lot better than the ghetto oil pressure gauge setup I put in my center console

Aside from TMH's and the exhaust cut outs what are you planning for an exhaust?. Im just curious cause i was under my ex yesterday and from what i seen the 5.0 exhaust look SO restrictive.

Subscribed, can't wait to see this done! And I really like that gauge setup, looks a hell of a lot better than the ghetto oil pressure gauge setup I put in my center console

A buddy of mine did my center console gauges. I dont have the skill to make it look that good. The paint took a few tries. Seemed whatever I picked either didnt look right or was a fingerprint magnet. Settled on the metallic silver. I like it. Did my radio bezel with it to. At some point I will use it around the gauge cluster.
To the boosted crowd...Any thoughts on spark plugs. I think I will go with a cooler plug and gap to .035 and see how that works unless someone tells me different. Im running a 180 deg t-stat and electric fan with no issues.

Aside from TMH's and the exhaust cut outs what are you planning for an exhaust?. Im just curious cause i was under my ex yesterday and from what i seen the 5.0 exhaust look SO restrictive.

The stock exhaust is very restrictive. The TMH's are a huge improvement but spendy an a pita to install but worth it. I replaced the primary cats and pipes with i think magnaflow ones. Still running secondary cats but went with less restrictive spincats into a 2 1/2" dual in, single 2 1/2" out Flowmaster 40 and took off the resonator. Some drone but not bad. With the exhaust cutouts I will delete the secondary cats. I ran with uncapped headers when I first installed them. It will wake up the neighborhood!! Sounds mean. With the electric motors I can uncap them at will.

Pulled my spark plugs after 5 years! Nice brown color on all of them. Except all had a gap over .060:eek: So in the process of replacing my header gaskets. Think I will go one step colder on the plugs and gap at.035. Also got my alternator harness back from the shop so with luck I will be installing that today. I could have this turn key ready by tomorrow but I always seem to run into snags so we will see. I am willing to start it but until my a/f ratio guage is hooked up I wont drive it. Already checked all my vacuum lines, put abrasion sleeving on several hoses and checked my fuel system for leaks. so far so good. I am waiting on a friend to come by and help me do a compression check.
Do it once and do it right.
More pics to follow....

Pulled my spark plugs after 5 years! Nice brown color on all of them. Except all had a gap over .060:eek: So in the process of replacing my header gaskets. Think I will go one step colder on the plugs and gap at.035. Also got my alternator harness back from the shop so with luck I will be installing that today. I could have this turn key ready by tomorrow but I always seem to run into snags so we will see. I am willing to start it but until my a/f ratio guage is hooked up I wont drive it. Already checked all my vacuum lines, put abrasion sleeving on several hoses and checked my fuel system for leaks. so far so good. I am waiting on a friend to come by and help me do a compression check.
Do it once and do it right.
More pics to follow....
If you want to "do once and do it right" why are you not replacing the injectors ,maf ,fuel pump and a tune.i sure wouldn't go over 4lbs with all that stock stuff.you going to do any type of intercooling ?defiantly go to a tr6 plug.looks like a awesome project !!;)

If you want to "do once and do it right" why are you not replacing the injectors ,maf ,fuel pump and have heard nothing about a tune.i sure wouldn't go over 4lbs with all that stock stuff.you going to do any type of intercooling ?defiantly go to a tr6 plug.looks like a awesome project !!;)

Now that is positive feedback!!;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now that is positive feedback!!;)

Im sorry was that sarcasm??is this one of those threads that you try and brag about what you have and we congratulate you and cheer you on for doing things wrong?if so, i see why so few has posted.good luck on your project.:rolleyes::notworthy

Back