My suspension plans/ feedback request | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My suspension plans/ feedback request

zensius

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Hill, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 4 dr. EB
Hi all. I've done a ton of looking and searching and comparing. I've come up with what I think would be the best suspension for me and my '92 4 door.
I was planning on the 5.5 Superlift with the Supersteering kit. I'd like to run the James Duff Extended radius arms. I also plan on using the dual shock hoop with a single shock. In the rear I plan on doing the Ranger spring mod combined with the SOA (part of the 5.5 lift) And I plan on using Rancho Rs 9000's front and rear. The front ones are for an EB with 4 inches of lift. The rears are stock because of the axle relocation. I hope to run 33x 12.5's on stock wheels. I know this isn't optimal but it's doable. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard bad things about the ranger spring mod (zimmerman mod)...I was interested in doing one as well, and then Mattadams told me about how his leaf springs twisted into an S-shape while running it...I haven't heard much else, so that was pretty much all I could go by. Might want to do some research on that.

It'll be tough to fit the tires on stock wheels, seeing as they're only 15x7's. I think it can be done, but wouldn't be too good for the tires...You can usually get bigger rims for pretty cheap (I got mine for 35 a piece) and it'll give you that more agressive stance and be better for the tires...

Two Tonex where'd you get you rims?

I got mine at Discount Tire, they're called Unique D42's or something like that...they're basically cheap rockcrawlers, but I think they look good...Also, rpenner54, Heath, and Joe93 are all running them and have been for awhile...as far as I know, they haven't had any problems

edit - there's also a few good cheap rims on www.4wheelparts.com . I'm sure there are other places that sell cheap rims as well, but that's the only big site I know of

Originally posted by zensius
I'd like to run the James Duff Extended radius arms.

why not the superlift arms? and I see more superlifts kits breaking, why not the skyjacker class II, I got those brackests and they are Meaty.

I also plan on using the dual shock hoop with a single shock.

Unless you can run a longer shock with this setup it would be useless but I'm liking your idea of 9000's over a dual shock setup.

Otherwise it looks like you are buying all the bells and whistles hope you don't want to go Solid axle after sticking all that money into it.

As for stock rims, It should be cool, Paul from Canada is running them on his black 4door and I like the look.

The reason I'm running the dual shock hoop is because the stock position is supposed to rub with the JD radius arms. I was going with the JD arms 'cause they look good. I know it's vain. But the Superlift ones just look like stock ones on sterroids. I gues it's a pretty stupid reason really. Especially with all the extra money and headaches involved.
You know I'd like to do a solid axle front but I've got a lot of issues with it. Mostly it seems like if I was going to build THAT good of a rig I'd start with a different truck. Read V8. And a swap is out of the question right now. If I do decide to go solid I can always sell off what lift I've bought. At a reduced price of course.
By-the-way, I'm running 3.73's if anybody has an opinion linked to this. Oh yeah, it's a daily driver too that will be running on 31's daily and switched to 33's for the trail. Two sets of rims. Nearest serious 4 wheeling is 3 hours away.

Originally posted by TwoToneX
I've heard bad things about the ranger spring mod (zimmerman mod)...I was interested in doing one as well, and then Mattadams told me about how his leaf springs twisted into an S-shape while running it

Use a anti-wrap bar and go with the zimmerman mod if you want.

Where would I find an anti-wrap bar?

Back