• Register Today It's free!

My touch frustrations

Medic7603

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer sport
A while back, after much hair pulling, I successfully did the update on my 16 sport my touch. I knew it was going to give me sync 3 or anything but thought it might help some of the slowness and the intermittent ’entertainment off’ where I get zero audio output at all but my phone still connects via Bluetooth and is then rendered essentially useless as well until disconnecting.

I also lost navigation after the update was successful. Ford’s answer is take it to the dealership to look at it. I’m not sure it’s worth the time/money to do so.

First I’m wondering if anyone knows how to fix this entertainment off problem? Or get my navigation back?

If no, is there a replacement stereo that will retain steering wheel controls, the heated/cooled seats and all the other stuff?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome t the Forum. :wave:
Which update did you install? If I recall correctly, one of the Sync updates also had a navigation update to go along with it.
Do you have any audio at all? Perhaps using a music USB stick? If not, it might be an issue with the Audio Control Module (ACM).
I don't believe I've seen the "Entertainment Off" message posted here before.

Peter

Welcome t the Forum. :wave:
Which update did you install? If I recall correctly, one of the Sync updates also had a navigation update to go along with it.
Do you have any audio at all? Perhaps using a music USB stick? If not, it might be an issue with the Audio Control Module (ACM).
I don't believe I've seen the "Entertainment Off" message posted here before.

Peter
I’ll have to wait until I’m back with the vehicle but I don’t think it was supposed to have a nav update.
This is intermittently happening but when it does occur I have zero audio of any sort, cd, AM/FM, Sirius, Bluetooth, usb stick, etc.
if it’s the ACM I’m assuming that’s a pricey repair? Is there an aftermarket alternative that will retain steering wheel and seat heater controls, etc?

There are several threads on aftermarket radios. You can find them using the 'Search' feature at the upper right. Click on Search, then Advanced search, on the next screen select Search threads enter Aftermarket radios as the keyword, scroll down to Search in forums and select the 2011 -2019 Ford Explorer 5th gen forum, and click on Display results as threads. Then click on Search.

Peter

I’ll have to wait until I’m back with the vehicle but I don’t think it was supposed to have a nav update.
This is intermittently happening but when it does occur I have zero audio of any sort, cd, AM/FM, Sirius, Bluetooth, usb stick, etc.
if it’s the ACM I’m assuming that’s a pricey repair? Is there an aftermarket alternative that will retain steering wheel and seat heater controls, etc?
ACMs are honestly pretty cheap these days, the expensive part is getting it programmed, or alternatively finding one from a vehicle with the same options you already have. Almost all Ford ACMs from a given "era" are the same other than a few settings (number of speakers, premium amp or speakers directly connected to it etc) and whether or not they have CD, Sirius and HD radio or a combination thereof. I'm not sure but it wouldn't shock me if some of the facebook sellers that are selling Sync 3 upgrades couldn't also program an ACM for you, or if you get Forscan you can do it with that as well or find someone online to do it. Replacement is easy, pull a few trim pieces, take out a few 7mm bolts and unplug and plug back in, if you aren't comfortable doing it any good stereo shop should be able to. If you really want to ditch the Ford stuff you can get a idatalink compatible radio, idatalink interface and sync 8" to double din dash kit and it will retain pretty much everything, but it gets pricey you're probably talking 6-700 minimum. Also I'm not sure if those kits actually eliminate the ACM or not. As far as navigation, what does your screen look like, does it say "insert SD card" or is it just showing a compass in the top right and doesn't have a "bar" that says navigation anymore? It's rare but I've heard of radios losing NAV after an update, typically you can get it back by turning it back on with Forscan.

Back