2011 Ford Explorer APIM Sync update issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer APIM Sync update issue

BWW

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Took Explorer to dealer for Sync Update: Problem; I only had an issue with connecting to Bluetooth on occasion.

My iPhone connected just fine, only had an issues with connecting to Bluetooth not always connecting to my iPhone, ALL other touch screen accessories worked just fine! I anticipated it may just be a sync issue with my phone which is current with todays technology updates. Dealer tried a sync update, said the screen went BLACK and will not respond and I needed a New APIM @ 1,220. The same day when driving home the touch screen came alive.
Some of the features on the touch screen do not work, phone connects just fine but when pushing the entertainment icon, it beeps, but does not open to next screen, the climate control opens next screen but garbled, did allow me to select AUTO and my air conditioned worked, but other features seem frozen. Clock does not sync as well!
So, the APIM is working but seems to have lost it programing not trashed? The dealership was very cold to my concern but need a recourse of action to address with them ASAP so trying to educate myself with your HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Not sure if the current issue is the APIM or the touch panel. It seems strange that this all happened when the update was done. Which update did they install? I've always done the Sync updates myself so I'm not familiar if dealers do it differently.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Not sure if the current issue is the APIM or the touch panel. It seems strange that this all happened when the update was done. Which update did they install? I've always done the Sync updates myself so I'm not familiar if dealers do it differently.

Peter
Thanks for the response!
Not strange, typical BS from dealer! The update version was not listed on invoice so NO idea what update they used! How could I update the APIM just to get it back to the original settings! Would that be the same as a Sync update as they called it on my invoice from dealer?

What steps would I have to take to do this?

You can see what the latest Sync version is by going into the settings. It should show you the version and build number. I can't recall where it is since I don't have a 5th gen any longer to check out. As far as I know, updating Sync has nothing to do with altering settings in the APIM.

Peter

Bluetooth issues are typically an early sign of APIM problems, sounds like they've just gotten worse. I'd get a junkyard APIM they're easy to get cheap. If you're on facebook join an explorer group and seek out Mitral Shah he can get you a programmed ready to go APIM cheap for sync 2.

Back