my xploder | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my xploder

sup guys, im new here my friend showed me your site and i was estatic that there are people out there that care about explorers that arent soccer moms!! however i cant find $hit for my 97'

here is what ive done so far:
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

its a 97 xlt with a 4.0 SOHC :( :( (no parts)
ive added a K&N intake and custom exhaust
thats about it as far as performance goes cuz i cant find $hit for it, and my dad owns a customization shop.... go figure.

on the outside ive added the step bars which were such a pain in the arse to install it wasnt even funny :D wound up welding the drivers side on. i got 16" (soon to be 20") Fitopaldi rims and limo tint all around. plus my billet grille, which needs adjusting, im just too lazy to take the front end back off ;) these are old pics i just installed my clear corner lenses yesterday and couldnt get a pic due to the fact it was dark outside. :(

the interior, aside from some minor spraypainting and my stereo is, stock. which is about to change, im removing the back 60/40 and replacing it with 2 matching front buckets and custom building a center console which will house 4 6&1\2" speakers and a tv for the rear passengers, then in the back where my subs are now, i will be turning that into an entire custom box, housing 4 JL audio w6's and 2 amps.

ill post pics in this thread throughout the work and the end result. anyhoo, thats my ford, which i lovingly calle "The Ford" :D :D ill be looking forward to posting here more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hehehe thanks, those pictures were taken right after i washed it so it was nice and clean, but now, as i stated above, the bottom half is caked with mud. :D

just a word to the wise, Zrated tires + mud = bad :D ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just a word to the wise, Zrated tires + mud = bad

LOL, I would think so man, haha

I hate to bite you, but I gotta hve those lights!!! Do you have the APC part number? I haven't seen them here, but perhaps I can order them.

lol, true, when i was doing the exhaust with my dad, we were debating what to put on it, so i figured what the hell? and we tried it, it sounds better than it looks trust me, at an idle it sounds quite throaty, and at high rpm it sounds like a 5.0 (i had a 92 F150 with a 5-0 in it, it had catbacks, i wish it were louder but the 302 is a quiet engine )

the tip should make the sound differant... its just a 3" cantalope shooter.... does not help sound quality at ALL sound comes all from the muffler/cats pipe dia" etc.

mods

1 tip of advice.. avoid ZEX NOS kits.
for the price you pay for those NOS systems, you might as well buy other mods...
i used a 60 shot zex system in my 98 explorer and my friend used a 200 shot in his 99 explorer... both our manifolds and headers gave up in about 2 months time...
its been 2 years since that incident and i'm using a 200shot system by Nitrous Works. works great. but the kit's around $600 though.

other mods you can do is to add a mass air flow sensor
Granatelli Motorsports sells one for $340..
BBK Performance Parts sells an "instacharger" i guess its a supercharger w/ a different name.. but gives ur X 40-50% more torque & HP w/o going V8 and a 5.0 engine.. u can add it to ur stock 4.0 easy install.. system + install kit = $2,900

but since u have access to ur dad's shop why not go for new cams and rockers as well?

kardnal

What kind of accessories does your dad have for the 91-94 ford explorer as far as exterior and performance parts.

I hate to bite you, but I gotta hve those lights!!! Do you have the APC part number? I haven't seen them here, but perhaps I can order them.

here is APC's part #
403047CL

Toucan also makes them:

the tip should make the sound differant... its just a 3" cantalope shooter.... does not help sound quality at ALL sound comes all from the muffler/cats pipe dia" etc.
i'm running straight pipe, with the exception of Ford's gay 4 cats. stock pipe, and the tip, thats all that i have on there.

other mods you can do is to add a mass air flow sensor
Granatelli Motorsports sells one for $340..
BBK Performance Parts sells an "instacharger" i guess its a supercharger w/ a different name.. but gives ur X 40-50% more torque & HP w/o going V8 and a 5.0 engine.. u can add it to ur stock 4.0 easy install.. system + install kit = $2,900

but since u have access to ur dad's shop why not go for new cams and rockers as well?
i would go into the heavy engine work now, but A) i need the truck for school everyday =\ (i graduate next thursday tho) and B) i dont know how much longer im going to have it. i heard my parents mentioning letting me trade it in on something for a graduation present. so i dunno, im kinda goin with the flow right now.

What kind of accessories does your dad have for the 91-94 ford explorer as far as exterior and performance parts.
depends, what are you looking for? let me know and ill give you his number and let u guys work it out :D since 91-94 used the 4.0 OHV you should be able to get just about any performance parts (i think)

here are a couple of pictures of the clear corner lights i took today. (the previous pics had stock corners)

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

*note: these pics are over 200kb each, that's why i didnt post them directly on the forums.

Kardinal,
My bad man. I'm looking for the part number on your "tail lights". Apparently that APC number you gave me is for front clears.

Hey Kardinal, why do u have a bit of red below your clear tails? is it so they arent 100% illegal like the lights you have, not altezzas. does that little bit light up red when u put on the brake? I dont like altezzas and want all clears but they are illegal even with a red bulb

Originally posted by Silverblade
Hey Kardinal, why do u have a bit of red below your clear tails? is it so they arent 100% illegal like the lights you have, not altezzas. does that little bit light up red when u put on the brake? I dont like altezzas and want all clears but they are illegal even with a red bulb

exactly. ive never been stopped for my tail lights. the red part is actually the backup lights. but since there is a red reflector its not illegal (in GA anyways)

and MOUSIN, sorry, that's my fault. i went to look for the part number and i cant find it anywhere. i think they stopped producing these. :( i will keep looking though and post what i find. sorry.

Thanks for checking Kardinal.

Back