• Register Today It's free!

Mystery oil leak.

phantomexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Willow Springs, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer Dragster
I'm not sure how to post this properly, but I have a mystery oil leak on my 92 explorer sport. Every once in a while, oil drips on the drivers side exhaust pipe, an inch below the manifold collector. I can't find a leak, but I see the oil burning off when under the truck. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'll be going down the road, then white smoke starts coming from under the drivers side fender. If I shut the truck off and let it cook, it goes away. But it doesn't happen all the time, only when its hot, and i'm throttle heavy. The oil gauge reads funny too, but I can't find the sender, in case its the leak.
phantomexplore
mustang_mike82@myspace.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 91-94 section. Park your truck overnight with a piece of cardboard under the area where you see a leak. It will help you locate the leak.

Tried it. It only leaks when i'm throttle happy, and the drip is on the exhaust y-pipe behind the manifold collector. I was told about the trans modulator vaccuum line. I think the modulator is leaking now too, as i saw a puddle once on the pass. side of the trans case.

Here's my truck specs:
VIN # X 4.0 V6/A4LD 4X4
Super six motorsports 8psi supercharger(installed in the 90's, but not leaking)
9.8:1 comp. pistons
108,000 actual miles

Am I pulling too much vaccuum? Where is the modulator hose, and where does it connect. I'm throwing a lot of money at this motor, and it still leaks. It's white.

I know where the modulator is, but it's hard to track the vaccuum line. I installed a breather in place of the pcv valve and plugged the vaccuum port. This helped, now it's a mere haze. I developed a leak in the area of the modulator, but it only leaks when it smoked. My issue is i'm afraid of trying to pull the modulator. I did that in my old '89 Ranger; and it broke,leaving the part of the modulator that goes into the tranny stuck in the case. $300 later for the tow bill and labor, a shop was able to get it out. I also have a true dual exhaust that I designed that sits below that side, making access hard; but I have twin cherry bomb glass packs and catco free-flowing race convertors, picking up 42 HP. I'm in the process of replacing all the gaskets in the top half of the engine. Since the modulator could be leaking(I think, what else could be in that area leaking?), I want to replace the modulator and the vaccuum line. If none of this works, i'm gonna say forget it and swap to a 4 bbl 302 and c6 Auto, unless I can get an AOD to work in it.

The modulator line ends up at the vacuum tree on the drivers side of the intake. Check there to see if its been injesting trans fluid

That must be one heck of an A4LD to hold up to that for so long. How much power? Have you had it dynoed?

Back