Mystery part?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mystery part??

Eric1971

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Can anyone ID this piece? After replacing the radiator and fan last week, I changed the oil yesterday. When I poured the oil out of the catch pan back into the 5L jug, this was at the bottom. It's smaller than the threaded hole of the old oil filter. Is it from the drain plug? It seems fairly brittle plastic. It's possible it's from any number of engine bay repairs where an old piece fell down and just now fell out.

Thank in advance!

20210118_143952.jpg
20210118_144002.jpg
20210118_144111.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s a drain plug crush washer.

Well sh*t. I'm not leaking oil at the plug yet. Guess I'd better get a new one and 4 more qts of oil!

Wipe the area ahead of time and use a clean catch container, then there should be no need for replacing the oil... though if you hurry, with cold oil, you might not lose much.

Wipe the area ahead of time and use a clean catch container, then there should be no need for replacing the oil... though if you hurry, with cold oil, you might not lose much.
That seems so obvious now. Thanks!

Any suggestions/link on a replacement washer? I'm finding all kinds out there when I Google it. Rubber, nylon, steel...

Most, like the one shown, are a lamination of several materials. All aluminum and all copper work great, but are intended for a one time use. In practical use they can often be reused several times.

The factory washer was probably rubber bonded to metal, but a mutli-pack of copper from Amazon or local auto parts store is what I'd do. The copper can last for years if you don't over-torque them, then each subsequent time the torque compresses them a little more if they are lined up good or have tight tolerance center hole. Some people go nuts and sand them flat then anneal to reuse once they start leaking but they are too inexpensive to bother doing that, unless you need to use the vehicle immediately and it's the only washer you have.

It makes you wonder... a quarter has a copper core, so if you sanded down the nickel plating till it was flat and drilled a hole in it...

Any “flat” washer would work, regardless of material. Seems silly wasting any amount of time fabricating a $2 part, though.

^ Yeah, even less than $1 each in volume for aluminum or copper. I'd measure to be sure but IIRC it's an M14 aka 9/16" I.D.

If the washer material isn't soft enough to deform, you could end up over-torquing the drain plug trying to stop a leak, if you need a washer at all... don't recall on these vehicles but some fords have rubber integrated into the plug and don't need a washer, but that might not stop some well intentioned oil & lube shop employee from throwing one on when they see there isn't one. That brings me back to the one this topic is about, being brittle plastic I am doubtful that this was a Ford factory crush washer, more likely one that someone added later.

Regardless, adding one won't hurt anything as long as it crushes within the torque spec for the plug.

LOL! Thought when I clicked over there would be a tiny part that made it though the drain port, like taking a dump and finding a gizzard floating. "Yes, that would be a gizzard -- or maybe a piece of liver." Just a plug washer, false alarm.

Can anyone ID this piece? After replacing the radiator and fan last week, I changed the oil yesterday. When I poured the oil out of the catch pan back into the 5L jug, this was at the bottom. It's smaller than the threaded hole of the old oil filter. Is it from the drain plug? It seems fairly brittle plastic. It's possible it's from any number of engine bay repairs where an old piece fell down and just now fell out.

Thank in advance!

View attachment 326737View attachment 326738View attachment 326739
Looks like the gasket off the drain plug

Welcome to the party.

Thank in advance!

View attachment 326737View attachment 326738View attachment 326739
That's the gasket/washer for the oil pan drain plug. Without it, you will probably have a oil leak. You need a new one!

Thanks @J_C and everyone. I went ahead and got a new drain plug and washer. I was able to pull the old and swap in the new with only about 3-4 ounces draining. Easy peasey and not a drop spilled!

That's the best answer, buy a new drain plug with washer and swap it quickly.

I prefer the drain plugs which have a rubber coating of some kind, those last for many years typically. The threads begin to get sharp after a while, that's the time to replace them.

+1 for the Fumoto F106N. I have them on three of my vehicles. They’re amazing.

I proclaim this washer-gasket-seal the most popular of all time. It should be placed on a mantel somewhere! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I proclaim this washer-gasket-seal the most popular of all time. It should be placed on a mantel somewhere! :thumbsup:

... right next to the transmission dipstick plug.

Back